100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The Worth surname was a habitational name, taken on from any of various places named Worth. The place names in turn come from the Old English "worš," meaning "enclosure," or "settlement."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Worth, Worthe and others.
First found in Devon at Washfield, a parish, in the union of Tiverton, hundred of West Budleigh. "The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19. 7. 6., and in the gift of J. Francis Worth, Esq. The church contains an old oak screen, which has been painted white; and a curious monument with brasses to the family of Worth." 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Worth research. Another 231 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1170, 1620, 1600, 1797, 1587, 1659 and 1620 are included under the topic Early Worth History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 103 words (7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Worth Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Worth family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 47 words (3 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Worth Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Phillip Worth settled in Virginia in 1622
- Philip Worth, who landed in Virginia in 1622
- Lionel Worth settled in Boston in 1630
- John Worth, who settled in Virginia in 1636
- Roger Worth, who arrived in Virginia in 1652
Worth Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Frederick Worth, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1760
- Martin Worth, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1765
Worth Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Daniel Worth, who landed in Mobile County, Ala in 1840
- Wilhelm Worth, aged 30, arrived in New York, NY in 1847
- M Worth, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Gottlieb Worth, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1854
- William Worth, who landed in New York in 1863
Worth Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Samuel Worth, aged 31, a miner, arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Sea Park"
- Benjamin Worth, aged 22, a miner, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Trafalgar"
Worth Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- William Worth, aged 38, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Collingwood" in 1875
- Ellen Worth, aged 32, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Collingwood" in 1875
- Thomas Worth, aged 11, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Collingwood" in 1875
- Ben Worth, aged 8, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Collingwood" in 1875
- Merina Worth, aged 8, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Collingwood" in 1875
- William Jenkins Worth (1794-1849), United States general during the Mexican-American War, War of 1812, and Second Seminole War, namesake of Fort Worth, Texas
- Valerie Worth (1933-1994), penname of Valerie Worth Bahlke, American poet and author of children's books
- Nicholas Worth (1937-2007), American actor
- Michael Worth, American actor
- Marvin Worth (1925-1998), American Oscar nominated film producer
- Jonathan Worth (1802-1869), American politician, 39th Governor of North Carolina (1865 to 1868)
- Irene Worth CBE (1916-2002), American actress
- H. M. Worth, American discoverer of Worth syndrome genetic disorder
- George Worth (1915-2006), American three-time gold, two-time silver and bronze medalist fencer
- Bobby Worth (1912-2002), American songwriter
- A Genealogical History of the Clark & Worth Families and Other Puritan Settlers in the Massachusetts Bay Colony by Carol Clark Johnson.
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
The Worth Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Worth Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 9 March 2016 at 20:08.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!