on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The name Waters belongs to the early history of Britain, it's origins lie with the Anglo-Saxons
. It is a product of their having lived in Shropshire
. The name Waters indicates that the original bearer of the name lived close to a prominent body of water
such as a lake or river.
The surname Waters was first found in Shropshire
where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, in Ludlow, before and after the Norman Conquest
Until the dictionary, an invention of only the last few hundred years, the English language lacked any comprehensive system of spelling rules. Consequently, spelling variations in names are frequently found in early Anglo-Saxon and later Anglo-Norman documents. One person's name was often spelled several different ways over a lifetime. The recorded variations of Waters include Waters, Water and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Waters research. Another 238 words (17 lines of text) covering the year 1610 is included under the topic Early Waters History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 27 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Waters Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the Waters family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 166 words (12 lines of text) about their life in Ireland
is included in all our PDF Extended History products
Thousands of English families boarded ships sailing to the New World in the hope of escaping the unrest found in England
at this time. Although the search for opportunity and freedom from persecution abroad took the lives of many because of the cramped conditions and unsanitary nature of the vessels, the opportunity perceived in the growing colonies of North America beckoned. Many of the settlers who survived the journey went on to make important contributions to the transplanted cultures of their adopted countries. The Waters were among these contributors, for they have been located in early North American records:
Waters Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Edward Waters, who arrived in Bermuda in 1609-1610
- Edward Waters settled in Virginia in 1610
- Grace Waters, who landed in Virginia in 1618
- John Waters settled with his wife Frances and three children in Boston Massachusetts in 1630
- Merry Waters, who landed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1632
Waters Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Phillimond Waters, who arrived in Virginia in 1701
- Charles Waters, who arrived in Virginia in 1718
Waters Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Andrew Waters, who landed in New York, NY in 1810
- Archibald Waters, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1816
- Roger Waters, who landed in New York, NY in 1816
- John D Waters, who arrived in New York in 1827
- Humphrey Waters, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1840
Waters Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Edward Waters settled in Harbour Grace in 1708
- Samuel Waters was married in St. John's Newfoundland in 1709
Waters Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Michael Waters, English convict from Essex, who was transported aboard the "Arab" on July 3, 1822, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Austraila
- Thomas Waters, English convict from Wiltshire, who was transported aboard the "Arab" on July 3, 1822, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Austraila
- Thomas Alexander Waters arrived in Glenelg Roads aboard the ship "Pestonjee Bomanjee" in 1838
- Eliza Mary Waters arrived in Glenelg Roads aboard the ship "Pestonjee Bomanjee" in 1838
- William Waters arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Somersetshire" in 1839
Waters Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- William Waters landed in Bay of Islands, New Zealand in 1840
- G Waters landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1842 aboard the ship Birman
- Thomas Waters landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1842 aboard the ship Birman
- George Waters, aged 30, a farm labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Birman" in 1842
- Susan Waters, aged 28, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Birman" in 1842
- Ethel Waters (1896-1977), American blues vocalist and actress
- Crystal Waters (b. 1964), American singer/songwriter
- Anthony Waters (b. 1985), American NFL football linebacker
- Alice Waters (b. 1944), American chef
- Cass B. Waters, American politician, Supervisor of Holly Township, Michigan, 1933-55
- Carl D. Waters, American Libertarian politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Indiana 5th District, 1998
- Mrs. C. C. Waters, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Minnesota, 1924
- Byron Waters (1849-1934), American politician, Member of California State Assembly 1st District, 1877-80
- Baxter Waters, American Democrat politician, Elected Missouri State House of Representatives from Clay County 1950
- Barbara A. Waters (b. 1935), American politician, Mayor of Petoskey, Michigan, 1974-76
- A Genealogical History of the Farrow. Waters, and Related Families by Audrey Doris.
- One Waters Family by Jean Waters Strong.
- Waters in Depth, 1648-1978 by Marjory McGillivray.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
The Waters Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Waters Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 May 2016 at 09:00.
on orders of $85 or more