on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Moon family come from? What is the English Moon family crest and coat of arms? When did the Moon family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Moon family history?The Moon surname is of Norman origin, and thought to derive from a place name such as from Moyon in La Manche, or from Mohun in Normandy.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Moon, Moone, Moones and others.
First found in Devon, where they held a family seat from very early times and were granted lands by Duke William of Normandy, their liege Lord, for their distinguished assistance at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Moon research. Another 199 words(14 lines of text) covering the year 1655 is included under the topic Early Moon History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Moon Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Moon family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 120 words(9 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Moon Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Moon settled in Virginia in 1637
- John Moon, who landed in Virginia in 1655
- Henry Moon, who arrived in Virginia in 1665
Moon Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Klemen Moon, who arrived in New York in 1709
- Margret Moon, aged 44, landed in Pennsylvania in 1733
- Marica Moon, aged 10, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1733
- Matiles Moon, aged 8, landed in Pennsylvania in 1733
- Joannes Moon, aged 33, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1733
Moon Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Charles Moon, who landed in New York in 1801
- Thomas Moon, aged 33, arrived in Delaware in 1812
- Benjamin Moon, aged 23, arrived in Georgia in 1812
- Allen Moon, aged 23, landed in Maryland in 1813
- J Moon, who landed in Mobile, Ala in 1822
Moon Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Matthew Moon, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1749
- Robert Moon, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1774
- William Moon settled in Nova Scotia in 1774
Moon Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Peter Moon, who landed in Canada in 1830
- Thomas Moon, aged 18, arrived in Saint John aboard the ship "Robert Burns" in 1834
Moon Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Joseph Moon, English convict from Cheshire, who was transported aboard the "Anson" on September 23, 1843, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- Joseph Moon arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Cressy" in 1847
- Philip Moon arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Cressy" in 1847
- John Moon, aged 28, arrived in South Australia in 1853 aboard the ship "Olivia"
- William Moon, aged 22, a bricklayer, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Emigrant"
Moon Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- William Moon arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Zealandia" in 1861
- William Moon, aged 43, a labourer, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Maraval" in 1879
- Ann Moon, aged 38, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Maraval" in 1879
- Margaret J. Moon, aged 20, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Maraval" in 1879
- William John Moon, aged 17, a servant, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Maraval" in 1879
- Private Harold H Moon Jr. (1921-1944), American soldier awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1944
- Parker Thomas Moon (1892-1936), American political scientist, assistant professor at Columbia University (1919-)
- William Moon (1818-1894), English inventor and clergyman, best known for developing a system of raised lettering for blind readers
- Richard Moon (1814-1899), English Chairman of the London and North-Western Railway Company (1861-1891), created Baron Moon of Copsewood, County of Warwick on 22 July 1887
- Philip Burton Moon (1907-1994), British physicist
- Rupert Vance Moon (1892-1986), Australian, recipient of the Victoria Cross for deeds during WWI
- Sir Edward Penderel Moon (1905-1987), British administrator in India, and writer
- Paul Moon (b. 1968), New Zealand historian and professor at the Auckland University of Technology
- Geoff Moon OBE (1915-2009), world renowned New Zealand naturalist, ornithologist, conservationist, veterinary surgeon and photographer
- Mr. John Henry Moon (1914-1941), British Mechanician 2nd Class, who sailed into battle on the HMS Repulse and died during the sinking
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Moon Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Moon Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 January 2015 at 12:49.
on orders of $85 or more