The ancient history of the Enlow name begins with the ancient Anglo-Saxon
tribes of Britain. The name is derived from when the family resided in one of the settlements called Henley in Oxfordshire
, and Warwickshire
. The surname Enlow belongs to the large category of Anglo-Saxon habitation
names, which are derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads.
Early Origins of the Enlow family
The surname Enlow was first found in Somerset
where they held a family seat
from ancient times as Lords of the Manor of Henley, the main line of the family producing the Barons Henley, the Earls of Northington, the Barons Ongley and many other knightly branches.
Early History of the Enlow family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Enlow research.Another 88 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1613, 1612, 1696 and 1653 are included under the topic Early Enlow History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Enlow Spelling Variations
Until quite recently, the English language has lacked a definite system of spelling rules. Consequently, Anglo-Saxon
surnames are characterized by a multitude of spelling variations
. Changes in Anglo-Saxon
names were influenced by the evolution of the English language, as it incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other languages. Although Medieval scribes and church officials recorded names as they sounded, so it is common to find one person referred to by several different spellings of his surname, even the most literate people varied the spelling of their own names. Variations of the name Enlow include Henley, Henlee, Henleigh, Henlie, Henly, Hendleigh, Hendley, Hendlie, Hendlee, Henelly and many more.
Early Notables of the Enlow family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Enlow Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Enlow family to Ireland
Some of the Enlow family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland
is included in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Enlow family to the New World and Oceana
Searching for a better life, many English families migrated to British colonies. Unfortunately, the majority of them traveled under extremely harsh conditions: overcrowding on the ships caused the majority of the immigrants to arrive diseased, famished, and destitute from the long journey across the ocean. For those families that arrived safely, modest prosperity was attainable, and many went on to make invaluable contributions to the development of the cultures of the new colonies. Research into the origins of individual families in North America revealed records of the immigration of a number of people bearing the name Enlow or a variant listed above: Christopher Henley settled in Virginia in 1622; Ann, Dorothy, and Rebecca all settled in Annapolis Maryland in 1725; Matthew and James arrived in New York in 1768.
Contemporary Notables of the name Enlow (post 1700)
- Darlene Enlow (1939-2009), American actress from Independence, Missouri, known for Diary of a Bachelor (1964), It Takes a Thief (1968) and Perry Mason (1957)
- Matt Enlow, American Primetime Emmy nominated director and writer
- Blayne Chanlar Enlow (b. 1999), American Major League Baseball pitcher for the Minnesota Twins
- Donald H. Enlow (1927-2014), American scientist from Mosquero, New Mexico, known for his contributions to field of orthodontics
- Paul Enlow, American Republican politician, Candidate in primary for Texas State House of Representatives 89th District, 1992
- Charles B. Enlow, American Republican politician, Newspaper publisher; Banker; Delegate to Republican National Convention from Indiana, 1928 (alternate), 1932
- C. R. Enlow, American politician, Mayor of Huntington, West Virginia, 1895-96
- Harold Enlow, one of America's leading contemporary wood carvers
Enlow Family Crest Products