Enloe History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
In ancient Anglo-Saxon England, the ancestors of the Enloe surname lived in one of the settlements called Henley in Oxfordshire, Shropshire, Somerset, Suffolk, Surrey, and Warwickshire. The oldest of the parishes is found in Somerset where it was known as Henleighe in 973. The place names literally mean "high wood or clearing"  with the exception of the Shropshire parish which means "one frequented by wild birds." 
Early Origins of the Enloe family
The surname Enloe was first found in Somerset where they held a family seat from ancient times as Lords of the Manor of Henley, the main line of the family producing the Barons Henley, the Earls of Northington, the Barons Ongley and many other knightly branches.
John de Heneleghe was registered as holding lands in Somerset, 1 Edward III (during the first year of the reign of King Edward III.) 
Gilbert de Henlega was listed in the Pipe Rolls of Worcester in 1181; Robert de Henlay in Yorkshire in 1270; and William Heneley in Northumberland in 1392. 
The Hundredorum Rolls of 1273 included: Philipp de Heneley, Salop (Shropshire); and John de Heneleye, Warwickshire as holding lands in their respective shires. 
Walter de Henley ( fl. 1250), was a writer on agriculture, "is stated to have been a 'Chivaler,' and afterwards to have become a Dominican friar. Henley's original text has clearly been much garbled and interpolated in the extant manuscripts; the early text is said to be best represented in two manuscripts in the Cambridge University Library. They appear to date from the time of Edward I or Edward II." 
Early History of the Enloe family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Enloe research. Another 88 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1613, 1612, 1696, 1653, 1711, 1679, 1692, 1756, 1692, 1708 and 1772 are included under the topic Early Enloe History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Enloe Spelling Variations
It is only in the last few hundred years that the English language has been standardized. For that reason, early Anglo-Saxon surnames like Enloe are characterized by many spelling variations. As the English language changed and incorporated elements of other European languages, even literate people changed the spelling of their names. The variations of the name Enloe include: Henley, Henlee, Henleigh, Henlie, Henly, Hendleigh, Hendley, Hendlie, Hendlee, Henelly and many more.
Early Notables of the Enloe family (pre 1700)
Distinguished members of the family include William Ernest Henley, the poet; and Henry Henley (1612-1696), an English politician, Member of Parliament for Somerset in 1653.
Anthony Henley (d. 1711), wit and politician, the son of Sir Robert Henley of the Grange, near Arlesford, Hampshire, M.P. for Andover in 1679, who married Barbara, daughter of Sir Edward Hungerford. Sir Robert Henley, Master of the Court of King's Bench, on the pleas side, a place then worth 4,000l. a year, was his grandfather. Out of the profits of this...
Another 87 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Enloe Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Enloe family to Ireland
Some of the Enloe family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Enloe family
Many English families tired of political and religious strife left Britain for the new colonies in North America. Although the trip itself offered no relief - conditions on the ships were extremely cramped, and many travelers arrived diseased, starving, and destitute - these immigrants believed the opportunities that awaited them were worth the risks. Once in the colonies, many of the families did indeed prosper and, in turn, made significant contributions to the culture and economies of the growing colonies. An inquiry into the early roots of North American families has revealed a number of immigrants bearing the name Enloe or a variant listed above: Christopher Henley settled in Virginia in 1622; Ann, Dorothy, and Rebecca all settled in Annapolis Maryland in 1725; Matthew and James arrived in New York in 1768.
Contemporary Notables of the name Enloe (post 1700) +
- W. G. Enloe, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from North Carolina, 1956; Mayor of Raleigh, North Carolina, 1957-63
- W. A. Enloe, American politician, Member of North Carolina State House of Representatives from Jackson County, 1864-65
- Isaac N. Enloe, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Missouri 8th District, 1902
- Benjamin Augustine Enloe (1848-1922), American Democrat politician, Member of Tennessee State House of Representatives, 1869-72; Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Tennessee, 1872, 1880; Newspaper editor;
- Asaph Enloe, American politician, Member of North Carolina House of Commons from Macon County, 1829, 1832
Related Stories +
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ Smith, Eldson Coles, New Dictionary of American Family Names New York, Harper & Row, 1956. Print
- ^ Dickinson, F.H., Kirby's Quest for Somerset of 16th of Edward the 3rd London: Harrison and Sons, Printers in Ordinary to Her Majesty, St, Martin's Lane, 1889. Print.
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Smith, George (ed), Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co., 1885-1900. Print