Of all the Anglo-Saxon
names to come from Britain, Bynum is one of the most ancient. The name is a result of the original family having lived in Norfolk.
Early Origins of the Bynum family
The surname Bynum was first found in the county of Norfolk
. Baynham Hall is a 17th century manor house located in Michaelchurch-On-Arrow, Gladestry, Powys
. We do known that Hugh Lloyd purchased Baynham Hall in about 1830, but as far as who originally had the manor house built remains a mystery.
Early History of the Bynum family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bynum research.Another 80 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1476, 1500, 1557, 1546, 1543, 1536, 1611, 1582, 1602, 1628, 1606, 1664, 1629, 1681, 1565 and 1593 are included under the topic Early Bynum History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bynum Spelling Variations
The first dictionaries that appeared in the last few hundred
years did much to standardize the English language. Before that time, spelling variations
in names were a common occurrence. The language was changing, incorporating pieces of other languages, and the spelling of names changed with it. Bynum has been spelled many different ways, including Baynham, Bayneham, Bainham, Banham, Banam and others.
Early Notables of the Bynum family (pre 1700)
Notables of the family at this time include Thomas Baynham (d. 1500), Constable of St Briavel's Castle. His descendant, Sir Christopher Baynham (d.1557) was the first of the family to hold Clearwell, a village and former ancient manor in the Forest of Dean, West Gloucestershire
. Sir George Baynham (died 1546), was... Another 98 words (7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bynum Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Bynum family to Ireland
Some of the Bynum family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland
is included in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Bynum family to the New World and Oceana
Thousands of English families in this era began to emigrate the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. Although the passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe, those who made the voyage safely were rewarded with opportunities unavailable to them in their homeland. Research into passenger and immigration lists has revealed some of the very first Bynums to arrive in North America:
Bynum Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- David Bynum, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1838 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
Bynum Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- William Bynum, who settled in America, in 1908
- Sarah Bynum, aged 20, who landed in America, in 1910
- Mabel Bynum, aged 60, who emigrated to America, in 1910
- Jossie Bynum, aged 20, who emigrated to the United States from Liverpool, England, in 1912
- Laura Bynum, aged 47, who landed in America from Liverpool, England, in 1912
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Bynum (post 1700)
- William Dallas Bynum (1846-1927), U.S. Representative from Indiana
- Reginald Deshain "Reggie" Bynum (b. 1964), former professional American football player
- Kenneth Bernard "Kenny" Bynum (b. 1974), former American football running back
- Laura Bynum (b. 1968), American author
- Clarke Bynum (d. 2007), American basketball player
- Juanita Bynum (b. 1959), American Pentecostal televangelist, author, actress and gospel singer
- Freddie Lee Bynum Jr. (b. 1980), American professional baseball shortstop
- Caroline Walker Bynum (b. 1941), American Medieval scholar
- Hal Bynum (b. 1934), American songwriter
- Josette "Josie" Bynum (b. 1977), American professional wrestler
- ... (Another 6 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)