The present generation of the Baynham family is only the most recent to bear a name that dates back to the ancient Anglo-Saxon
culture of Britain. Their name comes from having lived in Norfolk.
Early Origins of the Baynham family
The surname Baynham was first found in the county of Norfolk
. Baynham Hall is a 17th century manor house located in Michaelchurch-On-Arrow, Gladestry, Powys
. We do known that Hugh Lloyd purchased Baynham Hall in about 1830, but as far as who originally had the manor house built remains a mystery.
Early History of the Baynham family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Baynham research.Another 313 words (22 lines of text) covering the years 1476, 1500, 1557, 1546, 1543, 1536, 1611, 1582, 1602, 1628, 1606, 1664, 1629, 1681, 1565 and 1593 are included under the topic Early Baynham History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Baynham Spelling Variations
Until the dictionary, an invention of only the last few hundred
years, the English language lacked any comprehensive system of spelling rules. Consequently, spelling variations
in names are frequently found in early Anglo-Saxon
and later Anglo-Norman documents. One person's name was often spelled several different ways over a lifetime. The recorded variations of Baynham include Baynham, Bayneham, Bainham, Banham, Banam and others.
Early Notables of the Baynham family (pre 1700)
Notables of the family at this time include Thomas Baynham (d. 1500), Constable of St Briavel's Castle. His descendant, Sir Christopher Baynham (d.1557) was the first of the family to hold Clearwell, a village and former ancient manor in the Forest of Dean, West Gloucestershire
. Sir George Baynham (died 1546), was... Another 98 words (7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Baynham Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Baynham family to Ireland
Some of the Baynham family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 89 words (6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Baynham family to the New World and Oceana
Thousands of English families boarded ships sailing to the New World in the hope of escaping the unrest found in England
at this time. Although the search for opportunity and freedom from persecution abroad took the lives of many because of the cramped conditions and unsanitary nature of the vessels, the opportunity perceived in the growing colonies of North America beckoned. Many of the settlers who survived the journey went on to make important contributions to the transplanted cultures of their adopted countries. The Baynham were among these contributors, for they have been located in early North American records:
Baynham Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- William Baynham who settled in New England in 1718
- Henry Baynham also settled in New England in 1763
- Richard Baynham, who settled in Maryland in 1774
Baynham Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Thomas Baynham, English convict from Middlesex, who was transported aboard the "Andromeda" on November 13, 1832, settling in New South Wales, Australia CITATION[CLOSE]
State Library of Queensland. (Retrieved 2014, November 27) Andromeda voyage to New South Wales, Australia in 1832 with 186 passengers. Retrieved from http://www.convictrecords.com.au/ships/andromeda/1832
Contemporary Notables of the name Baynham (post 1700)
- Gordon Craig Baynham (b. 1944), American former NFL football running back who played from 1967 to 1972
- Ronald Leslie "Ron" Baynham (b. 1929), English former footballer who played for the England National Team in 1955
- David Morton Baynham (1902-1974), Welsh professional football full back
- John "Johnny" Baynham (1918-1995), Welsh professional football outside forward who played from 1946 to 1949
- Peter Baynham (b. 1963), Welsh-born, British comedy writer and performer, Academy Award-nominated screenwriter