100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, Scottish
Where did the English Wright family come from? What is the English Wright family crest and coat of arms? When did the Wright family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Wright family history?The ancestors of the Wright family lived among an ancient Scottish people called the Boernicians. The name Wright is derived from the Old English "wyrhta," meaning "worker," or, specifically, "woodworker, carpenter, craftsman," and was used to refer to a carpenter. In medieval rolls, the name was often Latinized as Faber.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Wright, Right, Write, Wrighte and others.
First found in Berwickshire, where the Wright family held a seat from ancient times. Some of the earliest records include Ralph Wright, burgess of Stirling, and Thomas Wright of Blakenhall in Lanarkshire, who rendered homage to King Edward I of England in 1296 on his brief conquest of Scotland.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wright research. Another 169 words(12 lines of text) covering the years 1342, 1590, 1657, 1602, 1658, 1609, 1623, 1637, 1664, 1660, 1664, 1615, 1683, 1670, 1685, 1634, 1689, 1687, 1689, 1611, 1690, 1675, 1682, 1654, 1721 and are included under the topic Early Wright History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 295 words(21 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Wright Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Wright family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 169 words(12 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Wright Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Robert Wright, who settled in Virginia in 1623 with his wife
- Horten Wright, who arrived in Virginia in 1624-1625
- Richard Wright and his wife Margaret, who arrived in Salem, Massachusetts in 1630 with their daughter
- Alice Wright, aged 21, landed in Virginia in 1635
- Henry Wright, who arrived in Dorchester, Massachusetts in 1635
Wright Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Dionisius Wright, who arrived in Virginia in 1701
- George Wright, who arrived in Leeward Islands in 1705
- John Wright, who immigrated Georgia in 1732
- Archibald Wright, who arrived in Georgia in 1744
- Andrew Wright, aged 20, arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1774
Wright Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Benjamin Wright, who landed in America in 1806
- Catherine Wright, who arrived in New York, NY in 1811
- Hanse Wright, aged 40, landed in Tennessee in 1812
- Absolom Wright, who landed in Washington County, Pennsylvania in 1820
- Daniel Wright, who landed in New York in 1836
Wright Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- John Wright, who came to St. John's, Newfoundland in 1730
Wright Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Anson Wright, who arrived in Canada in 1830
- Thomas Wright, aged 21, a shoemaker, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1833 aboard the ship "Margaret" from London
- Frank Wright, aged 25, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1834 aboard the brig "Maria" from Cork
Wright Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Thomas Wright, English convict from Dorset, who was transported aboard the "Ann" on August 1809, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- William Wright, English convict from Nottingham, who was transported aboard the "Agamemnon" on April 22, 1820, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- Samuel Wright, Jr., English convict from Cambridge, who was transported aboard the "Asia" on April 1st, 1822, settling in New South Wales, Austraila
- James Wright, English convict from Suffolk, who was transported aboard the "Albion" on May 17, 1823, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- Timothy Wright, English convict from Cambridge, who was transported aboard the "Asia" on October 22nd, 1824, settling in New South Wales, Australia
Wright Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Charles E Nicol Wright landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1840
- Daniel Wright landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1840
- George Wright landed in Wanganui, New Zealand in 1840
- John Wright landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1840 aboard the ship Adelaide
- Joseph W Wright landed in Bay of Islands, New Zealand in 1840
- Sewall Wright (1889-1988), American geneticist awarded the Darwin Medal in 1980
- Rayfield Wright (b. 1945), American football player
- Wilbur Wright (1867-1929), American aviation pioneer
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959), prominent and influential American architect
- Orville Wright (1871-1948), American airplane pioneer
- Philip Quincy Wright (1890-1970), American international lawyer
- Richard Wright (1908-1960), American novelist
- Lawrence Wright (b. 1947), American author and screenwriter awarded the 2007 Pulitzer Prize for General Nonfiction
- Doug Wright (b. 1962), American playwright, librettist, and screenwriter awarded the 2004 Pulitzer Prize for Drama
- Franz Wright (b. 1953), Pulitzer Prize-winning (2004) American poet
- Wright's 400 Years-Plus: 13 Generation Family by Larry C. Wright.
- Ancestry of William Henry Wright and Wife Poll Ann Royal and Their Descendants by Watie Delfa Wright Ellis.
- Captain William Upshaw, Gent., Planter of Virginia by Sophie W. Upshaw.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
The Wright Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Wright Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 25 June 2015 at 18:56.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!