on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Ellis family come from? What is the English Ellis family crest and coat of arms? When did the Ellis family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Ellis family history?The Ellis family name is linked to the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture of Britain. Their name comes from the baptismal name for the son of Ellis.
Until the dictionary, an invention of only the last few hundred years, the English language lacked any comprehensive system of spelling rules. Consequently, spelling variations in names are frequently found in early Anglo-Saxon and later Anglo-Norman documents. One person's name was often spelled several different ways over a lifetime. The recorded variations of Ellis include Ellis, Elliss, Ellys, Elis, Eliss, Elliason and many more.
First found in Yorkshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ellis research. Another 155 words(11 lines of text) covering the years 1460, 1474, 1693, 1598, 1665, 1676, 1609, 1680, 1654, 1640, 1653, 1625, 1673, 1634, 1716, 1703, 1651, 1734, 1650, 1731, 1282, 1721, 1806, 1861, 1939, 1774, 1832, 1820, 1826 and are included under the topic Early Ellis History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 249 words(18 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ellis Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Ellis family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 331 words(24 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Thousands of English families boarded ships sailing to the New World in the hope of escaping the unrest found in England at this time. Although the search for opportunity and freedom from persecution abroad took the lives of many because of the cramped conditions and unsanitary nature of the vessels, the opportunity perceived in the growing colonies of North America beckoned. Many of the settlers who survived the journey went on to make important contributions to the transplanted cultures of their adopted countries. The Ellis were among these contributors, for they have been located in early North American records:
Ellis Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- David Ellis, who arrived in Jamestown, Va in 1607
- David Ellis who settled in Virginia in 1608
- John Ellis, who landed in America in 1620
- Margrett Ellis, who arrived in Virginia in 1624-1625
- Arthur Ellis, who arrived in Massachusetts in 1630
Ellis Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Rowland Ellis, who landed in New Jersey in 1711
- Francis Ellis, who arrived in Virginia in 1714
- Everard Ellis, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1729
- Evered Ellis, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1739
- Margaret Ellis, who arrived in Maryland in 1740
Ellis Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Hugh Ellis, who arrived in America in 1804
- Alexr Ellis, aged 36, landed in New York, NY in 1804
- Alex Ellis, who arrived in America in 1804
- Margt Ellis, who landed in America in 1804
- Richard Ellis, who arrived in America in 1810
Ellis Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Morris Ellis, who landed in Mississippi in 1902
- Michael Ellis, who arrived in Mississippi in 1903
- Harry George Ellis, who arrived in Alabama in 1921
Ellis Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Thos Ellis, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1749
- Jacob Ellis, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1749
- Willm Ellis, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1774
- Mr. William Ellis U.E. who arrived at Port Roseway [Shelburne], Nova Scotia on December 13, 1783 was passenger number 371 aboard the ship "HMS Clinton", picked up on November 14, 1783 at East River, New York
- Mrs. Ann Ellis U.E. who arrived at Port Roseway [Shelburne], Nova Scotia on December 13, 1783 was passenger number 485 aboard the ship "HMS Clinton", picked up on November 14, 1783 at East River, New York
Ellis Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Richard, Ellis Jr., who landed in Canada in 1815
- Edward Ellis, who landed in Canada in 1815
- James Ellis, aged 12, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1834 aboard the brig "Betsy Heron" from Belfast
- John Ellis, aged 50, a farmer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1834 aboard the ship "Britannia" from Sligo
Ellis Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Walter Ellis, English convict from Middlesex, who was transported aboard the "Agamemnon" on April 22, 1820, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- James Ellis, English convict from Surrey, who was transported aboard the "Asia" on April 1st, 1822, settling in New South Wales, Austraila
- Caroline Ellis, English convict from Middlesex, who was transported aboard the "Amphitrite" on August 21, 1833, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- Joseph Ellis, English convict from Suffolk, who was transported aboard the "Arab" on February 22, 1834, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Austraila
- George Ellis arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Rajasthan" in 1838
Ellis Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- W Ellis landed in Auckland, New Zealand in 1836
- Thomas Ellis landed in Akaroa, New Zealand in 1840
- George Ellis, aged 30, a farm labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Catherine Stewart Forbes" in 1841
- Mary Ann Ellis, aged 28, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Catherine Stewart Forbes" in 1841
- James Ellis, aged 30, a labourer, arrived in Port Nicholson aboard the ship "Gertrude" in 1841
- Joseph Ellis (b. 1943), Pulitzer Prize winning author and a professor at Mt. Holyoke
- Bret Easton Ellis (b. 1964), American author
- Sergeant Michael B. Ellis (1894-1937), United States Army soldier awarded the Medal of Honor
- Herb Ellis (1921-2010), American jazz guitarist
- David Richard Ellis (1952-2013), American film director and stuntman
- Allan Ellis (1951-2013), American former NFL cornerback for the Chicago Bears and the San Diego Chargers
- Sir Henry Ellis (1777-1869), English librarian and antiquary
- Henry Havelock Ellis (1859-1939), English physician
- Ralph Gordon Ellis (1885-1963), English painter
- William Webb Ellis (1805-1872), English sportsman
- Descendants of Charles Jones of New Brunswick from 1776 and Ellis Descendants from 1739 by Geneva Jones Emberley.
- The Ellis Line from Surry-Sussex in Virginia by Dixie L. MaCrary.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
The Ellis Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Ellis Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 27 March 2015 at 13:28.
on orders of $85 or more