Worthley History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The Worthley surname was a habitational name, taken on from any of various places named Worth. The place names in turn come from the Old English "worð," meaning "enclosure," or "settlement."
Early Origins of the Worthley family
The surname Worthley was first found in Devon at Washfield, a parish, in the union of Tiverton, hundred of West Budleigh. "The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19. 7. 6., and in the gift of J. Francis Worth, Esq. The church contains an old oak screen, which has been painted white; and a curious monument with brasses to the family of Worth." 
Early History of the Worthley family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Worthley research. Another 116 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1170, 1620, 1600, 1797, 1587, 1659, 1620, 1677, 1742, 1676 and 1689 are included under the topic Early Worthley History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Worthley Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Worth, Worthe and others.
Early Notables of the Worthley family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family at this time was Ellis Worth (Woorth)(c. 1587-1659), a noted English actor in the Jacobean and Caroline eras, a leading member of two important companies: Queen Anne's Men and Prince Charles's Men; Roger Worthe, mayor of Exeter, on record in 1620 in the Vide Visitation of Devon; and...
Another 52 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Worthley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Worthley family to Ireland
Some of the Worthley family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Worthley migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Worthley Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Thomas Worthley, who arrived in New England in 1705 
Worthley Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- S Worthley, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850 
- J Worthley, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851 
Contemporary Notables of the name Worthley (post 1700) +
- Jean Reese Worthley (1925-2017), American naturalist and host of Maryland Public Broadcasting's children's television series Hodgepodge Lodge
Related Stories +
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)