100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English, Irish
Spelling variations of this family name include: Whitton, Whitten, Whytten, Whytton, Wytton, Wytten, Witten, Witton, Wyton and many more.
First found in Roxburghshire in the lands of Whitton, in Morebattle parish. The first on record was John Wytton, prior of St. Andrews in 1285 A.D. Michael and Adam Wytton both rendered homage to King Edward I of England in his brief conquest of Scotland in 1296. Michael was chief forester of the Forest of Selkirk. His seal showed a deer running. Richard Wyttone, a dignitary of the Church also rendered homage.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Whitton research. Another 163 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1165, 1400, 1370, 1303, 1635 and 1704 are included under the topic Early Whitton History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 47 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Whitton Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Whitton Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas Whitton who settled in Hingham, Massachusetts in 1635 with his wife Audry and his sons Jeremy and James
- Awdry Whitton, aged 45, arrived in New England in 1635
- Jeremy Whitton, aged 8, landed in New England in 1635
- Thomas Whitton, aged 36, arrived in New England in 1635
- Richard Whitton, who arrived in Maryland in 1665
Whitton Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Wm Whitton, who arrived in Virginia in 1703
- Henry Whitton, who arrived in Boston, Massachusetts in 1712
- John Whitton settled in Maryland in 1731
Whitton Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- William Whitton, who landed in America in 1800
- Francis Whitton, who landed in Virginia in 1884
Whitton Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Robt Whitton, who landed in Canada in 1821
- John Whitton, aged 44, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1838 aboard the barque "Pallas" from Cork
- Peggy Whitton, aged 32, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1838 aboard the barque "Pallas" from Cork
Whitton Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Richard Whitton arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Jenny Lind" in 1850
- John Whitton, aged 26, a shepherd, arrived in South Australia in 1851 aboard the ship "Navarino"
- John Whitton, aged 22, a miner, arrived in South Australia in 1857 aboard the ship "Royal Albert"
Whitton Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John Whitton arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Alma" in 1857
- Martha Whitton arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Alma" in 1857
- Thomas Whitton arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Alma" in 1857
- Mary Jane Whitton arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Alma" in 1857
- Sarah Whitton arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Alma" in 1857
- Michael Whitton, American film director, best known for his film Exit Strategy (2012)
- Margaret Whitton (b. 1950), American stage, film, and television actress
- Stephen Paul "Steve" Whitton (b. 1960), former English football striker
- Geoff Whitton (b. 1942), former Australian rules footballer
- Ivo Harrington Whitton (1893-1967), Australian amateur golfer, the only Australian to have won the Australian Open five times
- Donald Richard "Don" Whitton (b. 1923), Canadian concert cellist
- Charlotte Elizabeth Whitton OC, CBE (1896-1975), Canadian feminist, 46th Mayor of Ottawa, first female mayor of a major city in Canada
- John Whitton (1820-1898), Australian Engineer-in-Charge for the New South Wales Railways, eponym of Whitton, New South Wales
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
The Whitton Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Whitton Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 7 July 2014 at 01:01.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!