on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English, Irish
Where did the English Whitton family come from? What is the English Whitton family crest and coat of arms? When did the Whitton family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Whitton family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Whitton, Whitten, Whytten, Whytton, Wytton, Wytten, Witten, Witton, Wyton and many more.
First found in Roxburghshire in the lands of Whitton, in Morebattle parish. The first on record was John Wytton, prior of St. Andrews in 1285 A.D. Michael and Adam Wytton both rendered homage to King Edward I of England in his brief conquest of Scotland in 1296. Michael was chief forester of the Forest of Selkirk. His seal showed a deer running. Richard Wyttone, a dignitary of the Church also rendered homage.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Whitton research. Another 163 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1165, 1400, 1370, 1303, 1635 and 1704 are included under the topic Early Whitton History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 47 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Whitton Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Whitton Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas Whitton who settled in Hingham, Massachusetts in 1635 with his wife Audry and his sons Jeremy and James
- Awdry Whitton, aged 45, arrived in New England in 1635
- Jeremy Whitton, aged 8, landed in New England in 1635
- Thomas Whitton, aged 36, arrived in New England in 1635
- Richard Whitton, who arrived in Maryland in 1665
Whitton Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Wm Whitton, who arrived in Virginia in 1703
- Henry Whitton, who arrived in Boston, Massachusetts in 1712
- John Whitton settled in Maryland in 1731
Whitton Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- William Whitton, who landed in America in 1800
- Francis Whitton, who landed in Virginia in 1884
Whitton Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Robt Whitton, who landed in Canada in 1821
- John Whitton, aged 44, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1838 aboard the barque "Pallas" from Cork
- Peggy Whitton, aged 32, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1838 aboard the barque "Pallas" from Cork
Whitton Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Richard Whitton arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Jenny Lind" in 1850
- John Whitton, aged 26, a shepherd, arrived in South Australia in 1851 aboard the ship "Navarino"
- John Whitton, aged 22, a miner, arrived in South Australia in 1857 aboard the ship "Royal Albert"
Whitton Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John Whitton arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Alma" in 1857
- Martha Whitton arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Alma" in 1857
- Thomas Whitton arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Alma" in 1857
- Mary Jane Whitton arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Alma" in 1857
- Sarah Whitton arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Alma" in 1857
- Michael Whitton, American film director, best known for his film Exit Strategy (2012)
- Margaret Whitton (b. 1950), American stage, film, and television actress
- Stephen Paul "Steve" Whitton (b. 1960), former English football striker
- Geoff Whitton (b. 1942), former Australian rules footballer
- Ivo Harrington Whitton (1893-1967), Australian amateur golfer, the only Australian to have won the Australian Open five times
- Donald Richard "Don" Whitton (b. 1923), Canadian concert cellist
- Charlotte Elizabeth Whitton OC, CBE (1896-1975), Canadian feminist, 46th Mayor of Ottawa, first female mayor of a major city in Canada
- John Whitton (1820-1898), Australian Engineer-in-Charge for the New South Wales Railways, eponym of Whitton, New South Wales
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Whitton Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Whitton Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 7 July 2014 at 01:01.
on orders of $85 or more