Early Origins of the Whiddon family
The surname Whiddon was first found in Roxburghshire
in the lands of Whitton, in Morebattle parish. The first on record was John Wytton, prior of St. Andrews in 1285 A.D. Michael and Adam Wytton both rendered homage to King Edward I
in his brief conquest of Scotland
in 1296. Michael was chief forester of the Forest of Selkirk. His seal showed a deer running. Richard Wyttone, a dignitary of the Church also rendered homage. CITATION[CLOSE]
Black, George F., The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3)
Further to the south, "there are parishes in Lincoln, Durham, Hereford, Northumberland, Salop (Shropshire) and Suffolk." CITATION[CLOSE]
Lowe, Mark Anthony, Patronymica Britannica, A Dictionary of Family Names of the United Kingdom. London: John Russel Smith, 1860. Print.
Early History of the Whiddon family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Whiddon research.Another 82 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1165, 1400, 1370, 1303, 1635 and 1704 are included under the topic Early Whiddon History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Whiddon Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Whitton, Whitten, Whytten, Whytton, Wytton, Wytten, Witten, Witton, Wyton and many more.
Early Notables of the Whiddon family (pre 1700)
Another 33 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Whiddon Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Whiddon family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Whiddon Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Hettie Whiddon, aged 27, who emigrated to the United States, in 1895
Whiddon Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Earl Whiddon, aged 19, who emigrated to the United States, in 1922
- Earle Whiddon, aged 21, who settled in America, in 1924
- Karl Whiddon, aged 21, who landed in America, in 1924
- Merle S. Whiddon, aged 21, who emigrated to America, in 1924
Whiddon Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Samuel Whiddon, aged 25, a labourer, who arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Thomas Arbuthnot"
Contemporary Notables of the name Whiddon (post 1700)
- Wiley W. Whiddon, American politician, Delegate to Florida State Constitutional Convention from Taylor County, 1865 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, April 22) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- Pamela Whiddon, American actress
- Jerry Whiddon, American actor
- Frederick Palmer Whiddon (1930-2002), American academic, founder and long-time president of the University of South Alabama