on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Speed family come from? What is the English Speed family crest and coat of arms? When did the Speed family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Speed family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Speed, Spede, Speyde, Speede, Speid and others.
First found in Suffolk where they held a family seat. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1185 when Godfrey Speed appeared on the Pipe Rolls for that county.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Speed research. Another 273 words(20 lines of text) covering the years 1277, 1455, and 1487 are included under the topic Early Speed History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Speed Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Speed Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Wm Speed, who arrived in Virginia in 1633
- Richard Speed settled in Barbados in 1635
- Richard Speed, aged 35, landed in Barbados in 1635
- John Speed, who landed in Maryland in 1637
- John Speed settled in Maryland in 1637
Speed Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Speed settled in Virginia in 1703
- Alexander Speed settled in Virginia in 1714
- Jane Speed, who arrived in Virginia in 1714
Speed Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- George Speed, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1868
Speed Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Mrs. Speed, who landed in St John, New Brunswick in 1907
- F Speed, who landed in St John, New Brunswick in 1907
Speed Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William John Speed, English convict from Surrey, who was transported aboard the "Ann" on August 1809, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- Martha Speed, aged 43, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Norman"
- Martha Speed, aged 23, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Norman"
- Mary Speed, aged 21, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Norman"
Speed Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- James Speed landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1844
- Scott Andrew Speed (b. 1983), American race car driver
- Doris Speed (1899-1994), English actress
- Chris Speed (b. 1967), American saxophonist, clarinetist, and composer
- Gary Speed MBE (1969-2011), Welsh former footballer and manager of the Wales national football team
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
The Speed Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Speed Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 27 November 2014 at 09:43.
on orders of $85 or more