on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Speed was first found in Suffolk
where they held a family seat
. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1185 when Godfrey Speed appeared on the Pipe Rolls
for that county.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Speed, Spede, Speyde, Speede, Speid and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Speed research. Another 273 words (20 lines of text) covering the years 1277, 1455, and 1487 are included under the topic Early Speed History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Speed Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Speed Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Wm Speed, who arrived in Virginia in 1633
- Richard Speed settled in Barbados in 1635
- Richard Speed, aged 35, landed in Barbados in 1635
- John Speed, who landed in Maryland in 1637
- John Speed settled in Maryland in 1637
Speed Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Speed settled in Virginia in 1703
- Alexander Speed settled in Virginia in 1714
- Jane Speed, who arrived in Virginia in 1714
Speed Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- George Speed, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1868
Speed Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Mrs. Speed, who landed in St John, New Brunswick in 1907
- F Speed, who landed in St John, New Brunswick in 1907
Speed Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William John Speed, English convict from Surrey, who was transported aboard the "Ann" on August 1809, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- Martha Speed, aged 43, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Norman"
- Martha Speed, aged 23, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Norman"
- Mary Speed, aged 21, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Norman"
Speed Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- James Speed landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1844
- Scott Andrew Speed (b. 1983), American race car driver
- Doris Speed (1899-1994), English actress
- Gary Speed MBE (1969-2011), Welsh former footballer and manager of the Wales national football team
- Chris Speed (b. 1967), American saxophonist, clarinetist, and composer
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The Speed Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Speed Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 27 November 2014 at 09:43.
on orders of $85 or more