100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Irish Sherry family come from? What is the Irish Sherry family crest and coat of arms? When did the Sherry family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Sherry family history?The Sherry Ireland has two distinct sources. In southern Ulster, it was an Anglicized form of Gaelic Mac Searraigh, "son of Searrach," in turn derived from the Gaelic word "searrach," meaning a "foal." It was also an Anglicized form of the Gaelic Mac Sťartha, "son of Sťartha," that was taken on in Ireland by a Hodnett family of Welsh origin, after they had emigrated to County Cork.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Sherry, Sharry, O'Sherry, McSherry, McShiarie and many more.
First found in at Courtmacsherry in County Cork (Irish: Corcaigh) the ancient Kingdom of Deis Muin (Desmond), located on the southwest coast of Ireland in the province of Munster, where they held a family seat, some say before the Anglo Norman invasion of Ireland by Strongbow in 1172.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Sherry research. Another 432 words(31 lines of text) covering the years 1130, 1230, 1473, and 1664 are included under the topic Early Sherry History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 23 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Sherry Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Sherry Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Roger Sherry who arrived in Maryland in 1671
- Roger Sherry, who landed in Maryland in 1671
- Nathaniel Sherry, aged 30, landed in New York in 1677
- Nathaniel Sherry, aged 30, who arrived in New York in 1677
Sherry Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James Sherry, aged 20, arrived in Maryland in 1812
- Patrick Sherry, aged 25, arrived in New York in 1812
- Mary Sherry, who landed in New York, NY in 1817
- John Sherry, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1850
- Catherine Sherry, aged 16, arrived in New York, NY in 1850
Sherry Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- William Sherry, aged 18, a farmer, arrived in St. John aboard the ship "Protector" in 1834
- Mary Sherry, aged 16, a spinster, arrived in St. John aboard the ship "Protector" in 1834
- Mary Sherry, aged 24, a spinster, arrived in St. John aboard the ship "Protector" in 1834
- Daniel Sherry, aged 13, arrived in St. John aboard the ship "Protector" in 1834
- John Sherry, aged 12, arrived in St. John aboard the ship "Protector" in 1834
Sherry Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- John Sherry arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Amity Hall" in 1850
- Anne Sherry, aged 20, a housemaid, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Warren Hastings"
- Rose Ann Sherry, aged 21, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1856 aboard the ship "Nabob"
- Michael Sherry, aged 19, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1858 aboard the ship "Utopia"
Sherry Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Edward Sherry, aged 24, a farm labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Hermione" in 1878
- S. Ann Sherry, aged 20, a servant, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Maraval" in 1879
- Norman Burt Sherry (b. 1931), American former Major League Baseball catcher, manager, and coach
- Louis Sherry (1855-1926), American restaurateur, caterer and hotelier, founder of Sherry-Netherland Hotel in New York City
- Lawrence Sherry (1935-2006), American Major League Baseball right-handed relief pitcher
- Nicholas John Sherry (b. 1955), Australian politician
- Gordon Sherry (b. 1974), Scottish professional golfer
- O'Hart, John. Irish Pedigress 5th Edition in 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0737-4).
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Woodham-Smith, Cecil. The Great Hunger Ireland 1845-1849. New York: Old Town Books, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-385-3).
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1978. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Grehan, Ida. Dictionary of Irish Family Names. Boulder: Roberts Rinehart, 1997. Print. (ISBN 1-57098-137-X).
- Somerset Fry, Peter and Fiona Somerset Fry. A History of Ireland. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1993. Print. (ISBN 1-56619-215-3).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Fitzgerald, Thomas W. Ireland and Her People A Library of Irish Biography 5 Volumes. Chicago: Fitzgerald. Print.
The Sherry Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Sherry Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 10 November 2014 at 13:53.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!