The Pendergriss surname belongs to the large category of Anglo-Norman habitation names, which are thought to have originally derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads in Normandy
. In Ireland
, the name was turned into a Gaelic form as de Priondragás; however, the name has also been replaced with MacSherone.
Early Origins of the Pendergriss family
The surname Pendergriss was first found in Pembrokeshire
(Welsh: Sir Benfro), a county in south-west Wales
, anciently part of the Welsh
kingdom of Deheubarth, where they held a family seat
from early times and were Lords of the manor of Prendergast and estates in that shire. Maurice, Lord of Prendergast was a great friend and neighbor of Strongbow
, Earl of Pembroke. He accompanied Strongbow
in the Anglo\ Norman invasion
in 1172. He was summoned back to England
by Henry II., in 1175 to escort the rebellious Robert, Earl of Essex
, captive into Normandy
in 1177. Upon his return to England
he once again returned to Ireland
and was rewarded with lands in Ireland
and south Mayo. CITATION[CLOSE]
Burke, John Bernard, The Roll of Battle Abbey. London: Edward Churton, 26, Holles Street, 1848, Print.
Early History of the Pendergriss family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Pendergriss research.Another 173 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1641, 1660, 1689, 1725, 1660, 1709, 1703 and 1710 are included under the topic Early Pendergriss History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Pendergriss Spelling Variations
It was found during an investigation of the origins of the name Pendergriss that church officials and medieval scribes often spelled the name as it sounded. This practice lead to a single person's being documented under many spelling variations
. The name Pendergriss has existed in the various shapes: Prendergast, Prendegast, Pendergast, Pendegast, Prendregast, Pendergrass, Pendergrist, Pender and many more.
Early Notables of the Pendergriss family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family up to this time was Thomas Prendergast (d. 1725) of Croane, County Limerick; and his son, Brigadier-General Sir Thomas Prendergast (c.
1660-1709), 1st Baronet
Prendergast, of Gort, Member of Parliament for Monaghan
Both hail from an ancient... Another 41 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Pendergriss Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Pendergriss family to the New World and Oceana
Irish immigration to North American began in the late 18th century as many Irish families
desired to own their own land. This pattern of immigration grew slowly yet steadily until the 1840s. At that time, a failed crop and a growing population in Ireland
resulted in the Great Potato Famine
. Poverty, disease, and starvation ravaged the land. To ease their pain and suffering the Irish often looked upon North America as a solution: hundreds of thousands undertook the voyage. Their arrival meant the growth of industry and commerce for British North America and the United States. For the individual Irishman, it meant survival and hope, and the opportunity for work, freedom, and ownership of land. The early immigration and passenger lists revealed many bearing the name Pendergriss: Phillip Prendergast who settled in Virginia in 1643; Richard and Miles Prendergast arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1858; Edward Prendergrast settled in Philadelphia in 1838.
The Pendergriss Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Vincit veritas
Motto Translation: Truth conquers.
Pendergriss Family Crest Products
- ^ Burke, John Bernard, The Roll of Battle Abbey. London: Edward Churton, 26, Holles Street, 1848, Print.