Okell History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Okell family
The surname Okell was first found in Northumberland where the earliest record of the name was of Humphrey de Hoggell who was granted a deed by William the Conqueror to enjoy "all the liberties and royalties of his manor of Ogle in an ample as a manner as any of his ancestors enjoyed the same before the time of the Norman invasion." Another source adds to this claim, " the manor formed part of the possessions, and was the residence, of the Ogle family, who were seated here before the Conquest, and with whom it continued till the time of Elizabeth. "  The township of Shilvington in Northumberland was home to another branch of the family. "It was anciently a manor in the Merlay barony, and was the property of the knightly families of Gubium and Ogle, the connexion of the latter of whom with the place was revived in 1830, the Rev. J. Savile Ogle then purchasing the estate." 
Important Dates for the Okell family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Okell research. Another 127 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1362, 1538, 1341, 1406, 1469, 1440, 1486, 1468, 1513, 1490, 1530, 1513, 1545, 1529, 1562, 1540, 1597, 1568, 1629, 1681, 1750 and are included under the topic Early Okell History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Okell Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Hoggel, Ogle, Ogill, Ogell and others.
Early Notables of the Okell family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family name during their early history was Robert Ogle, 1st Baron Ogle (1406-1469); Owen (Ewyn) Ogle, 2nd Baron Ogle (1440-1486); Ralph Ogle, 3rd Baron Ogle (1468-1513); Robert Ogle, 4th Baron Ogle (1490-1530); Robert Ogle, 5th Baron Ogle...
Another 40 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Okell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Okell family to Ireland
Some of the Okell family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 63 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Okell migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Okell Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Rich Okell, who arrived in Virginia in 1654 
Contemporary Notables of the name Okell (post 1700)
- Frank T. Okell, American politician, Member of Pennsylvania State House of Representatives from Lackawanna County, 1893-94 
- The Rt Rev. Frank Jackson Okell, English inaugural Bishop of Stockport (1949 to 1950)
- John Okell, British research associate at the School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London
- Marjorie Francis Okell (1908-2009), British international track and field athlete at the 1934 Empire Games
- Fay Okell Bainter (1893-1968), American Academy Award winning film and stage actress, best known for her award winning role in 6Jezebel (1938)
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, December 11) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html