Ogles History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Ogles family
The surname Ogles was first found in Northumberland where the earliest record of the name was of Humphrey de Hoggell who was granted a deed by William the Conqueror to enjoy "all the liberties and royalties of his manor of Ogle in an ample as a manner as any of his ancestors enjoyed the same before the time of the Norman invasion." Another source adds to this claim, " the manor formed part of the possessions, and was the residence, of the Ogle family, who were seated here before the Conquest, and with whom it continued till the time of Elizabeth. "  The township of Shilvington in Northumberland was home to another branch of the family. "It was anciently a manor in the Merlay barony, and was the property of the knightly families of Gubium and Ogle, the connexion of the latter of whom with the place was revived in 1830, the Rev. J. Savile Ogle then purchasing the estate." 
Important Dates for the Ogles family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ogles research. Another 127 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1362, 1538, 1341, 1406, 1469, 1440, 1486, 1468, 1513, 1490, 1530, 1513, 1545, 1529, 1562, 1540, 1597, 1568, 1629, 1681, 1750 and are included under the topic Early Ogles History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ogles Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Hoggel, Ogle, Ogill, Ogell and others.
Early Notables of the Ogles family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family name during their early history was Robert Ogle, 1st Baron Ogle (1406-1469); Owen (Ewyn) Ogle, 2nd Baron Ogle (1440-1486); Ralph Ogle, 3rd Baron Ogle (1468-1513); Robert Ogle, 4th Baron Ogle (1490-1530); Robert Ogle, 5th Baron Ogle...
Another 40 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ogles Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Ogles family to Ireland
Some of the Ogles family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 63 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ogles migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Ogles Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Edward Ogles, aged 24, who settled in America, in 1918
- Harry Ogles, aged 44, who landed in America, in 1919
- Henry A. Ogles, aged 20, who immigrated to the United States, in 1919
Contemporary Notables of the name Ogles (post 1700)
- Jerry L. Ogles, American Metropolitan Presiding Bishop of the Anglican Orthodox Church
- Benjamin M. Ogles (b. 1961), American Dean of Arts and Sciences at Ohio University
- Mark R. Ogles (b. 1962), American Republican politician, Member of Florida State House of Representatives 67th District, 1993- 
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 23) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html