Ocket History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Strongbownians added their own naming traditions to the eastern region of Ireland to which they arrived. The impact of this new tradition was not extremely disruptive to the pre-existing Irish tradition because the two had many similarities. Both cultures made significant use of hereditary surnames. And like the Irish, the Strongbownians often used prefixes to build patronymic surnames, which are names based on the given name of the initial bearer's father or another older relative. Strongbow's followers often created names that were built with the prefix Fitz-, which was derived from the French word fils, and ultimately from the Latin filius, both of which mean son. They also used diminutive suffixes such as -ot, -et, -un, -in, or -el, and occasionally even two suffixes combined to form a double diminutive such as -el-in, -el-ot, -in-ot, and -et-in, to build patronymic names. The surname Ocket is derived from the medieval given names Hack or Hake. These English names were derived from the Old Norse name Haki, which is a cognate of the English name Hook and was originally given to someone with a hunched figure or a hooked nose. Before being imported to Ireland, the surname Ocket was chiefly popular in the western midlands of England. The Gaelic form of the name Ocket is Haicéid.
Early Origins of the Ocket family
The surname Ocket was first found in County Kilkenny (Irish: Cill Chainnigh), the former Kingdom of Osraige (Ossory), located in Southeastern Ireland in the province of Leinster, where they had been granted lands by Strongbow for their assistance in the invasion of Ireland in 1172.
They were also granted lands in counties Carlow, Kildare and one branch moved into Connacht where "they formed a distinct if small sept which was known as MacHackett, their seat being Castle Hackett, six miles south-east of Tuam." 
They were originally from Harcourt in Normandy and their name appears on the Honour Roll of the Battell Abbey as being present at the Battle of Hastings. "The Hackets of Niton on the Isle of Wight were descendants of Haket on the Battle Abbey Roll. The eventual heiress, Agnes, dau. of John Hackett, Esq. of Niton, m. John Lye, Esq., of Dorsetshire, and was mother of Anne Lye, wife of Sir James Woraley, constable of Carisbrook Castle." 
"Dominus Paganus de Haket, another soldier at Hastings accompanied Henry II to Ireland where he acquired broad lands and seigneuries there; and his descendants, generation after generation, were parliamentary Barons, and potent Magnates in the sister kingdom. "
Early History of the Ocket family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ocket research. Another 54 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 1180, 1195, 1676, 1601, 1625, 1626, 1566, 1592, 1670, 1592, 1559 and 1621 are included under the topic Early Ocket History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ocket Spelling Variations
Medieval scribes and church officials spelt names simply the way they sounded, which explains the various name spelling variations of the name Ocket that were encountered when researching that surname. The many spelling variations included: Hackett, Hackert, Hacket, Halkett and others.
Early Notables of the Ocket family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family up to this time was Peter Hackett, Archbishop of Cashell; John-Baptist Hackett (Hacket, Hacquet, Hecquet) (died 1676), Irish theologian born at Fethard, County Tipperary; and Humphrey Haggett (born 1601), an English politician who sat in the House of Commons in 1625 and 1626.
John Securis (fl. 1566) was a medical writer, born in England. His name was a Latinized version of the surname Hatchett. 
John Hacket (1592-1670), was Bishop...
Another 71 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ocket Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Ocket family
A great number of Irish families left their homeland in the late 18th century and throughout the 19th century, migrating to such far away lands as Australia and North America. The early settlers left after much planning and deliberation. They were generally well off but they desired a tract of land that they could farm solely for themselves. The great mass of immigrants to arrive on North American shores in the 1840s differed greatly from their predecessors because many of them were utterly destitute, selling all they had to gain a passage on a ship or having their way paid by a philanthropic society. These Irish people were trying to escape the aftermath of the Great Potato Famine: poverty, starvation, disease, and, for many, ultimately death. Those that arrived on North American shores were not warmly welcomed by the established population, but they were vital to the rapid development of the industry, agriculture, and infrastructure of the infant nations of the United States and what would become Canada. Early passenger and immigration lists reveal many Irish settlers bearing the name Ocket: Sir Robert Hacket settled in Barbados in 1678; Thomas Hackett settled in Virginia in 1642; William Hackett settled in Barbados in 1680; Bernard, Daniel, Francis, James, Michael.
Related Stories +
The Ocket Motto +
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Spes mea Deus
Motto Translation: God is my hope.
- ^ MacLysaght, Edward, Irish Families Their Names, Arms and Origins 4th Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1982. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2364-7)
- ^ Burke, John Bernard, The Roll of Battle Abbey. London: Edward Churton, 26, Holles Street, 1848, Print.
- ^ Smith, George (ed), Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co., 1885-1900. Print