Nuckols History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancestors of the Nuckols family first reached the shores of England in the wave of migration after the Norman Conquest of 1066. Their name is derived from the given name Nicholas. Nicholas derives from the Greek Nikolaos, which is made up of the words nikan, meaning to conquer, and laos, meaning people. 
Early Origins of the Nuckols family
The surname Nuckols was first found in Cheshire, where Nicholas D'Albini, who was of the junior line of the Dukes of D'Albini in Normandy, settled in 1054, and his successor William became Baron of Malpas. Waleram Nicholai was listed in Suffolk in 1198 and Nicholaus was listed in Lincolnshire in 1147-1166.  By the Hundredorum Rolls of 1273, the name was scattered as seen by: William filius Nicoll in Shropshire; and John Nicole and Stephen Nichole in Oxfordshire. 
Important Dates for the Nuckols family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Nuckols research. Another 53 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 1307, 1500, 1550, 1589, 1555, 1584, 1559, 1616, 1590, 1668, 1587, 1642, 1619, 1683, 1624, 1672, 1630, 1687, 1672, 1673, 1699, 1778, 1681, 1727, 1727, 1658, 1640, 1640, 1648, 1664, 1712 and 1756 are included under the topic Early Nuckols History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Nuckols Spelling Variations
Endless spelling variations are a prevailing characteristic of Norman surnames. Old and Middle English lacked any definite spelling rules, and the introduction of Norman French added an unfamiliar ingredient to the English linguistic stew. French and Latin, the languages of the court, also influenced spellings. Finally, Medieval scribes generally spelled words according to how they sounded, so one person was often referred to by different spellings in different documents. The name has been spelled Nicholl, Niccolls, Nichel, Nichol, Nicholls, Nichols, Nickel, Nickle, Nickles, Nicolls, Nicol, Nycol, Nuckles and many more.
Early Notables of the Nuckols family (pre 1700)
Outstanding amongst the family at this time was Blessed George Nichols (c. 1550-1589), an English Catholic martyr; John Nicholls (1555-1584), a controversial author; Sir Augustine Nicolls (1559-1616), a judge; John Nicoll (c.1590-1668), a Scottish chronicler; Sir Francis Nicolls, 1st Baronet (c. 1587-1642), Member of Parliament for Bishop's Castle and Northamptonshire; Sir Edward Nicolls, 2nd Baronet (c. 1619-1683); Richard Nicolls (1624-1672), the first English colonial governor of New York province; Matthias Nicoll (1630-1687), American politician, 6th Mayor of New York City...
Another 79 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Nuckols Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Nuckols family to Ireland
Some of the Nuckols family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 129 words (9 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Nuckols migration to the United States
To escape the political and religious persecution within England at the time, many English families left for the various British colonies abroad. The voyage was extremely difficult, though, and the cramped, dank ships caused many to arrive in the New World diseased and starving. But for those who made it, the trip was most often worth it. Many of the families who arrived went on to make valuable contributions to the emerging nations of Canada and the United States. An inquiry into the early roots of North American families reveals a number of immigrants bearing the name Nuckols or a variant listed above:
Typical Nuckols Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Nuckols Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Amy C. Nuckols, aged 30, who immigrated to Atlantic City, U.S.A., in 1907
- W. Preston Nuckols, aged 2, who settled in Atlantic City, U.S.A., in 1907
- Vance Nuckols, aged 49, who landed in America, in 1921
- Haidee Carrington Nuckols, aged 58, who settled in Louisville, Kentucky in 1924
Contemporary Notables of the name Nuckols (post 1700)
- John Nuckols, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Indiana, 1972 
- Jack A. Nuckols (b. 1912), American Democrat politician,Member of West Virginia State Senate 9th District, 1952-61; Appointed 1952; Resigned 1961; Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from West Virginia, 1956 
- William "The Patriot" Nuckols (1710-1796), American provider of beef and other supplies to the Continental Army during the Revolution, his descendants are eligible for admission to the Daughters of the American Revolution and Sons of the American Revolution
You May Also Like
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, May 18) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html