100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish Lyles family come from? What is the Scottish Lyles family crest and coat of arms? When did the Lyles family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Lyles family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Lyle, Lille, Lile, Lisle, Lyall, Lyal, Lyel and many more.
First found in Norfolk, where they held a family seat from very early times and were granted lands by Duke William of Normandy, their liege Lord, for their distinguished assistance at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lyles research. Another 303 words(22 lines of text) covering the years 1058, 1296, 1610, 1664, 1617, 1685, 1632, 1716, 1659 and are included under the topic Early Lyles History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 173 words(12 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Lyles Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Lyles family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 139 words(10 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Lyles Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Lyles, who arrived in Virginia in 1716
Lyles Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- William Lyles, who landed in South Carolina in 1811
- David Lyles, who arrived in South Carolina in 1827-1830
- J Lyles, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
Lyles Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Jane Lyles, aged 29, a domestic servant, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Ionic" in 1884
- Kathryn Lyles, American stage actor
- Lester Everett Lyles (b. 1962), former professional American football cornerback
- Nathan Jahmal Lyles (b. 1985), American football safety
- Robert Lyles (b. 1961), former professional American football player
- Leslie Lyles, American film actress
- Andrew Craddock "A.C." Lyles (1918-2013), American Golden Boots Award winning movie producer for Paramount Pictures, best known for producing many Westerns in the 1950s and 1960s
- Lenny Lyles (1936-2011), professional American Football defensive back
- General Lester L. Lyles (b. 1946), former United States Air Force general
- Ron Lyles (1941-2011), American professional boxer
- Albert Walter "Sparky" Lyles (b. 1944), American former left-handed pitcher
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Sedulo et honeste
Motto Translation: Diligently and honestly.
- Fulton, Alexander. Scotland and Her Tartans: The Romantic Heritage of the Scottish Clans and Families. Godalming: Bramley, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-86283-880-0).
- Scarlett, James D. Tartan The Highland Textile. London: Shepheard-Walwyn, 1990. Print. (ISBN 0-85683-120-4).
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Bain, Robert. The Clans and Tartans of Scotland. Glasgow & London: Collins, 1968. Print. (ISBN 000411117-6).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
The Lyles Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Lyles Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 17 March 2015 at 18:51.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!