It was among those Anglo-Saxon
tribes that once ruled over Britain that the name Levering was formed. The name was derived from the baptismal name Loefhere,
deriving its origin from the Old English word Leofhering
meaning beloved army.
Baptismal names began to appear as surnames relatively late in the growth of the naming tradition. This is a little surprising, given the popularity of biblical figures in the Christian countries of Europe. Nevertheless, surnames derived from baptismal names grew in popularity during the Middle Ages, and have become one of the foremost sources for surnames.
Early Origins of the Levering family
The surname Levering was first found in Surrey
where they held a family seat
from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Early History of the Levering family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Levering research.Another 71 words (5 lines of text) covering the year 1203 is included under the topic Early Levering History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Levering Spelling Variations
Until the dictionary, an invention of only the last few hundred
years, the English language lacked any comprehensive system of spelling rules. Consequently, spelling variations
in names are frequently found in early Anglo-Saxon
and later Anglo-Norman documents. One person's name was often spelled several different ways over a lifetime. The recorded variations of Levering include Lovering, Loveridge and others.
Early Notables of the Levering family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Levering Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Levering family to the New World and Oceana
Thousands of English families boarded ships sailing to the New World in the hope of escaping the unrest found in England
at this time. Although the search for opportunity and freedom from persecution abroad took the lives of many because of the cramped conditions and unsanitary nature of the vessels, the opportunity perceived in the growing colonies of North America beckoned. Many of the settlers who survived the journey went on to make important contributions to the transplanted cultures of their adopted countries. The Levering were among these contributors, for they have been located in early North American records:
Levering Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- E. W. Levering, aged 28, who settled in America from London, in 1892
- Ethel Levering, aged 11, who landed in America from Dublin, in 1896
- Eugene Levering, aged 40, who emigrated to the United States from Dublin, in 1896
- Levering, aged 37, who settled in America from Dublin, in 1896
Levering Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Ben Levering, aged 36, who emigrated to the United States, in 1906
- Albert Levering, aged 37, who emigrated to the United States, in 1907
- Jennie E. Levering, aged 34, who emigrated to the United States, in 1909
- John W. Levering, aged 48, who landed in America, in 1909
- Florence Levering, aged 31, who settled in America, in 1910
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Levering (post 1700)
- Arthur Levering (b. 1953), American composer of contemporary classical music
- Robert Woodrow Levering (1914-1989), American politician, U.S. Representative from Ohio (1959-1961)
- Joshua Levering (1845-1935), American Baptist leader, President of the trustees of The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Kentucky
- Kate Levering (b. 1979), American actress and dancer
- John Levering Early (1896-1999), American politician, Mayor of Sarasota, Florida, 1951-52 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 18) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
Levering Family Crest Products
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 18) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html