Legate History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Legate family
The surname Legate was first found in Buckinghamshire, where they held a family seat from very early times and were granted lands by Duke William of Normandy, their liege Lord, for their distinguished assistance at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Important Dates for the Legate family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Legate research. Another 76 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1400, 1574, 1412, 1403, 1408, 1406, 1407, 1575, 1612 and are included under the topic Early Legate History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Legate Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Legat, Leggat, Leggatt, Leggate, Legatt, Legget, Liggat, Ligget, Liggett and many more.
Early Notables of the Legate family (pre 1700)
Notable among the family at this time was Helming Leget (died 1412), of Tottenham, Middlesex and Black Notley, Essex, an English politician, appointed Sheriff, Essex and Hertfordshire for...
Another 27 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Legate Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Legate family to Ireland
Some of the Legate family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 59 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Legate migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Legate Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Legate, who landed in Maryland in 1652 
Legate Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- James Legate, who settled in Pennsylvania in 1773
Legate Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- F Legate, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851 
- W M Legate, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851 
Legate migration to Australia
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Legate Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Jane Legate, who arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Trafalgar" in 1847 
- William Legate, who arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Trafalgar" in 1847 
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ State Records of South Australia. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) TRAFALGAR 1847. Retrieved from http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/BSA/1847Trafalgar.htm