100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Hutt family come from? What is the English Hutt family crest and coat of arms? When did the Hutt family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Hutt family history?The origins of the Hutt surname lie with the Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. The name Hutt began when someone in that family worked as a maker of hoods. The surname Hutt is derived from the Old English words hod, hud, hood, and hodde, which all come from the Old English word hod, which means hood. Occasionally, Hutt may be a local surname derived from the settlement of Hood in Rattery in Devon.
One relatively recent invention that did much to standardize English spelling was the printing press. However, before its invention even the most literate people recorded their names according to sound rather than spelling. The spelling variations under which the name Hutt has appeared include Hood, Hoods, Hude, Hud, Hudd, Hode, Hoode and others.
First found in Devon where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hutt research. Another 143 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1668, 1724, 1816 and 1st are included under the topic Early Hutt History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 59 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hutt Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Hutt family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 127 words (9 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
At this time, the shores of the New World beckoned many English families that felt that the social climate in England was oppressive and lacked opportunity for change. Thousands left England at great expense in ships that were overcrowded and full of disease. A great portion of these settlers never survived the journey and even a greater number arrived sick, starving, and without a penny. The survivors, however, were often greeted with greater opportunity than they could have experienced back home. These English settlers made significant contributions to those colonies that would eventually become the United States and Canada. An examination of early immigration records and passenger ship lists revealed that people bearing the name Hutt arrived in North America very early:
Hutt Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Tho Hutt, who landed in Virginia in 1634
- Robert Hutt, aged 14, arrived in Virginia in 1635
- Wm Hutt, who landed in Virginia in 1650
- Thomas Hutt, who arrived in Virginia in 1652
- Joseph Hutt, who landed in Virginia in 1653
Hutt Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Jane Hutt, who arrived in Virginia in 1713
- Barbery Hutt, who landed in Virginia in 1717
- George Hutt, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1753
Hutt Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- James Hutt, aged 33, a farm labourer, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Assaye" in 1874
- Esther Hutt, aged 30, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Assaye" in 1874
- William Hutt, aged 8, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Assaye" in 1874
- Henry Hutt, aged 6, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Assaye" in 1874
- Eveline Hutt, aged 3, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Assaye" in 1874
- Thomas G. Hutt (1817-1892), American Democrat politician, Member of Missouri State House of Representatives, 1870-72; Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Missouri, 1876; Member of Missouri State Senate, 1880
- Louis Hutt, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Illinois, 1880
- Hermann G. Hutt, American politician, Burgess of West Chester, Pennsylvania, 1922-25
- Herman G. Hutt, American politician, Member of Pennsylvania State House of Representatives from Philadelphia County, 1901-06
- Henry W. Hutt (b. 1895), American Republican politician, Member of New York state assembly from Erie County 2nd District, 1923-28
- Albert E. Hutt, American Republican politician, Member of Massachusetts State House of Representatives Ninth Worcester District, 1923-24
- A. J. Hutt, American politician, Mayor of Little Rock, Arkansas, 1852-53
- A. E. Hutt, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Wyoming, 1948, 1952
- William Harold "Bill" Hutt (1899-1988), English economist
- Joan Hutt (1913-1985), English painter
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
The Hutt Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hutt Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 10 November 2015 at 09:19.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!