100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Hathaway family come from? What is the English Hathaway family crest and coat of arms? When did the Hathaway family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Hathaway family history?The history of the name Hathaway begins with the Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. It is derived from the Old German personal names Hathuwic or Hadewic, or from the Old English personal name Heathuwig, which means war-warrior.
The English language only became standardized in the last few centuries; therefore, spelling variations are common among early Anglo-Saxon names. As the form of the English language changed, even the spelling of literate people's names evolved. Hathaway has been recorded under many different variations, including Hathaway, Hatheway, Hathoway, Hathway and others.
First found in Gloucestershire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hathaway research. Another 287 words(20 lines of text) covering the year 1200 is included under the topic Early Hathaway History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Hathaway Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
For many English families, the political and religious disarray that shrouded England made the far away New World an attractive prospect. On cramped disease-ridden ships, thousands migrated to those British colonies that would eventually become Canada and the United States. Those hardy settlers that survived the journey often went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations in which they landed. Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Hathaway or a variant listed above:
Hathaway Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Arthur Hathaway, who landed in Massachusetts in 1630
- John and Susan Hathaway settled in Boston in 1635
- Thomas Hathaway, who landed in Virginia in 1638
- John Hathaway, who landed in New Netherland(s) in 1639
- Francis Hathaway settled in Virginia in 1652
Hathaway Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- George Hathaway, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- William Hathaway, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- W Hathaway, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- L Hathaway, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- S Hathaway, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
Hathaway Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Hathaway, English convict from Middlesex, who was transported aboard the "Agamemnon" on April 22, 1820, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- Stanley Knapp Hathaway, American Republican Party politician
- William Dodd Hathaway (b. 1924), American Democratic Party politician from Maine
- Donny Edward Hathaway (1945-1979), American soul musician
- Henry Hathaway (1898-1985), American film director and producer
- Anne Jacqueline Hathaway (b. 1982), American Academy Award Emmy Award winning actress
- Lalah Hathaway (b. 1968), American contemporary R&B and jazz singer
- Noah Leslie Hathaway (b. 1971), American former child actor
- Clarence A. "Charlie" Hathaway (1892-1963), American activist in the Minnesota trade union movement
- Felix Hathaway (1798-1856), American carpenter and pioneer in what became the state of Oregon
- Kenya Canelibra Hathaway (b. 1970), contemporary American R&B and jazz singer
- A Harkrader-Hathaway History by Charles Briggs Hathaway.
- Jesse Hathaway Family by Gail Abner Hathaway.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
The Hathaway Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hathaway Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 February 2015 at 11:04.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!