100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The history of the name Hathaway begins with the Anglo-Saxon
tribes of Britain. It is derived from the Old German personal names Hathuwic
or from the Old English personal name Heathuwig,
which means war-warrior.
The surname Hathaway was first found in Gloucestershire
where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
The English language only became standardized in the last few centuries; therefore, spelling variations are common among early Anglo-Saxon names. As the form of the English language changed, even the spelling of literate people's names evolved. Hathaway has been recorded under many different variations, including Hathaway, Hatheway, Hathoway, Hathway and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hathaway research. Another 287 words (20 lines of text) covering the year 1200 is included under the topic Early Hathaway History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Hathaway Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
For many English families, the political and religious disarray that shrouded England
made the far away New World an attractive prospect. On cramped disease-ridden ships, thousands migrated to those British colonies that would eventually become Canada and the United States. Those hardy settlers that survived the journey often went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations in which they landed. Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Hathaway or a variant listed above:
Hathaway Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Arthur Hathaway, who landed in Massachusetts in 1630
- John and Susan Hathaway settled in Boston in 1635
- Thomas Hathaway, who landed in Virginia in 1638
- John Hathaway, who landed in New Netherland(s) in 1639
- Francis Hathaway settled in Virginia in 1652
Hathaway Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- George Hathaway, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- William Hathaway, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- W Hathaway, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- L Hathaway, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- S Hathaway, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
Hathaway Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Hathaway, English convict from Middlesex, who was transported aboard the "Agamemnon" on April 22, 1820, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- Ray Wilson Hathaway (1916-2015), American Major League Baseball pitcher who appeared in four games for the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1945
- Lalah Hathaway (b. 1968), American contemporary R&B and jazz singer
- Hillary Houston Hathaway (b. 1969), American Major League Baseball pitcher
- Kenya Canelibra Hathaway (b. 1970), contemporary American R&B and jazz singer
- Felix Hathaway (1798-1856), American carpenter and pioneer in what became the state of Oregon
- Clarence A. "Charlie" Hathaway (1892-1963), American activist in the Minnesota trade union movement
- Noah Leslie Hathaway (b. 1971), American former child actor
- Anne Jacqueline Hathaway (b. 1982), American Academy Award Emmy Award winning actress
- Henry Hathaway (1898-1985), American film director and producer
- Donny Edward Hathaway (1945-1979), American soul musician
- A Harkrader-Hathaway History by Charles Briggs Hathaway.
- Jesse Hathaway Family by Gail Abner Hathaway.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
The Hathaway Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hathaway Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 February 2015 at 11:04.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!