on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Dale family come from? What is the English Dale family crest and coat of arms? When did the Dale family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Dale family history?The origins of the Dale name lie with England's ancient Anglo-Saxon culture. It comes from when the family lived in the area referred to as the daleor a valley.
Before the last few hundred years, the English language had no fast system of spelling rules. For that reason, spelling variations are commonly found in early Anglo-Saxon surnames. Over the years, many variations of the name Dale were recorded, including Dale, Daile, Dales, Dayle, Daele and others.
First found in Yorkshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dale research. Another 314 words(22 lines of text) covering the years 1275, 1379, and 1634 are included under the topic Early Dale History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Dale Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
To escape oppression and starvation at that time, many English families left for the "open frontiers" of the New World with all its perceived opportunities. In droves people migrated to the many British colonies, those in North America in particular, paying high rates for passages in cramped, unsafe ships. Although many of the settlers did not make the long passage alive, those who did see the shores of North America perceived great opportunities before them. Many of the families that came from England went on to make essential contributions to the emerging nations of Canada and the United States. Research into various historical records revealed some of first members of the Dale family emigrate to North America:
Dale Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Nicholas Dale, who arrived in Virginia in 1624
- Sir Thomas Dale settled in Virginia in 1626
- Thomas Dale settled in Barbados in 1635
- Humphry Dale, who landed in Virginia in 1638
- Jon Dale, who arrived in Virginia in 1638
Dale Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Saml Dale, who landed in Virginia in 1703
- Danl Dale, who arrived in Virginia in 1714
Dale Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Daniel Dale, who landed in New York, NY in 1816
- Samuel Dale, who arrived in New York, NY in 1816
- William A Tweed Dale, who arrived in New York in 1816
- Charles Augustus Dale, who arrived in New York in 1817
- William Dale, who arrived in New York in 1831
Dale Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Sarah Dale, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1750
Dale Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Charles Dale arrived in Kangaroo Island aboard the ship "Buffalo" in 1836
- W.M. Dale arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Indian" in 1849
- Mary Dale arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Indian" in 1849
- Matthew Mason Dale, aged 27, arrived in South Australia in 1849 aboard the ship "Indian"
- John Dale arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Asia" in 1851
Dale Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- William Dale arrived in Port Nicholson aboard the ship "London" in 1842
- W Dale landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1842 aboard the ship London
- Thomas Dale, aged 44, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Inchinnan" in 1852
- Mary Dale, aged 30, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Inchinnan" in 1852
- Godon Dale, aged 5, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Inchinnan" in 1852
- Shana Dale (b. 1964), American politician and lawyer who served as the Deputy Administrator of NASA from 2005 to 2009
- James Badge Dale (b. 1978), American actor most famous for his role of Chase Edmunds in the third season of 24
- Alan Dale (1925-2002), American singer of traditional popular and rock and roll music
- Jim Dale MBE (b. 1935), English actor, voice artist, singer and songwriter
- Sir Henry Hallett Dale OM, GBE, PRS (1875-1968), English pharmacologist
- Cynthia Dale (b. 1961), Canadian television actress and stage performer
- Alan Hugh Dale (b. 1947), New Zealand actor
- Miss Reta Betty Dale (1912-1914), Canadian Second Class Passenger from Toronto, Ontario, Canada who was traveling aboard the Empress of Ireland and died in the sinking on May 29th 1914
- Mrs. Mary Dale (1888-1914), née Parker Canadian Second Class Passenger from Toronto, Ontario, Canada who was traveling aboard the Empress of Ireland and died in the sinking on May 29th 1914
- Mr. William Dale (d. 1915), Irish 2nd Class passenger from Toronto, Ontario, Canada, who sailed aboard the RMS Lusitania and died in the sinking
- The Dales of Eastern Shore, Maryland, and Tennessee by Clarice G. Neal.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
The Dale Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Dale Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 2 April 2015 at 11:23.
on orders of $85 or more