Cottell History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The name Cottell is an old Anglo-Saxon name. It comes from when a family lived in Cottle located in the hundred of Bradford in the county of Wiltshire.
Early Origins of the Cottell family
The surname Cottell was first found in Wiltshire, where Beringarius Cotel was recorded in 1084. Other records show William Cotel was originally from Normandy (c. 1180-95).
Important Dates for the Cottell family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cottell research. Another 82 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1167, 1185, 1206, 1327, 1605, and 1803 are included under the topic Early Cottell History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cottell Spelling Variations
Before the last few hundred years, the English language had no fast system of spelling rules. For that reason, spelling variations are commonly found in early Anglo-Saxon surnames. Over the years, many variations of the name Cottell were recorded, including Cottle, Cottell, Cottel, Cothulle, Cuttil, Cuttles, Cotel, Cotella and many more.
Early Notables of the Cottell family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Cottell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Cottell family to Ireland
Some of the Cottell family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cottell migration to the United States
To escape oppression and starvation at that time, many English families left for the "open frontiers" of the New World with all its perceived opportunities. In droves people migrated to the many British colonies, those in North America in particular, paying high rates for passages in cramped, unsafe ships. Although many of the settlers did not make the long passage alive, those who did see the shores of North America perceived great opportunities before them. Many of the families that came from England went on to make essential contributions to the emerging nations of Canada and the United States. Research into various historical records revealed some of first members of the Cottell family emigrate to North America:
Cottell Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Franz Cottell, aged 13, who arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1834 
- Harriette Cottell, aged 22, who landed in Baltimore, Maryland in 1834 
- Hear Emilie Cottell, aged 2, who arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1834 
- Hear Ernstine Cottell, aged 8, who landed in Baltimore, Maryland in 1834 
Contemporary Notables of the name Cottell (post 1700)
- Philip G. Cottell, American politician, U.S. Vice Consul in Quito, 1943 
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 12) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html