on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish Clinton family come from? What is the Scottish Clinton family crest and coat of arms? When did the Clinton family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Clinton family history?Though hidden in the annals of history, the chronicles of Scotland reveal the early records of the Norman surname Clinton which ranks as one of the oldest. The history of the name is interwoven within the colorful plaid of Scottish history and is an intrinsic part of the heritage of this ancient nation.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Clinton, Glinton, Clintone and others.
First found in Oxfordshire, where they were recorded as a family of great antiquity seated at Glinton with manor and estates in that shire. They are said to be descended from Reinbaldus who accompanied the Conqueror into England. Sire Johan de Clinton (d. 1315) was the earliest on record. He assumed his surname from Glinton anciently written Clinton. The peerage of Baron Clinton was created for him in 1298. This began a long line of Barons Clinton including: John de Clinton, 2nd Baron Clinton (d. c. 1335); John de Clinton, 3rd Baron Clinton (d. 1398); William de Clinton, 4th Baron Clinton (1378-1431); John de Clinton, 5th Baron Clinton (1410-1464) and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Clinton research. Another 137 words(10 lines of text) covering the years 1330, 1572, 1415, 1898, 1386, 1394, 1397, 1404, 1414, 1415, 1378, 1431, 1512, 1585, 1624, 1657, 1646, 1648, 1686, 1761, 1731, 1743, 1753 and are included under the topic Early Clinton History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 357 words(26 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Clinton Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Clinton family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 125 words(9 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Clinton Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Joseph Clinton settled in St. Christopher in 1635
- Jo Clinton, aged 19, arrived in St Christopher in 1635
- Mary Clinton, who landed in Virginia in 1636
- Edward Clinton settled in Barbados in 1654
- Cornelius Clinton who settled in Virginia in 1656
Clinton Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Charles Clinton settled in New York in 1728, from Northumberland in England
- Christiana Clinton, who arrived in New York in 1729
- Francis Clinton, who landed in New England in 1730
- John Clinton settled in New England in 1753
Clinton Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Bartholmew Clinton, who arrived in New York, NY in 1816
- Bartholomew Clinton, who landed in New York, NY in 1816
- Dolly Clinton, who landed in New York, NY in 1817
- Hannah Clinton, who arrived in New York, NY in 1817
- James Clinton, who landed in New York, NY in 1817
Clinton Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. William Clinton U.E who settled in Saint John, New Brunswick c. 1783
Clinton Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Brien Clinton, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1830
Clinton Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Patrick Clinton, aged 22, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1851 aboard the ship "Catherine"
- Patrick Clinton, aged 22, a labourer, arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Catherine" in 1851
Clinton Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John Clinton arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Mermaid" in 1859
- Hillary Diane Rodham Clinton Senator (b. 1947), American lawyer/wife of former President Clinton, former 67th United States Secretary of State (2009-2013)
- James Clinton (1736-1812), American Revolutionary War officer
- Gordon S. Clinton (b. 1920), American politician, Mayor of Seattle (1956-1964)
- DeWitt Clinton (1769-1828), American politician, mayor of New York City, and governor of New York State
- George Clinton (b. 1941), American singer, songwriter, bandleader, and music producer, inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1997
- Larry Clinton (1909-1985), American trumpeter, bandleader and arranger who worked with Tommy Dorsey, Jimmy Dorsey, Glen Gray, Louis Armstrong and others
- George William Clinton (1807-1885), American politician, Mayor of Buffalo, New York (1842-1843)
- General Sir Henry Clinton (1738-1795), British army officer and politician who is best known for his service as a general during the American Revolutionary War
- Henry Fynes Clinton (1781-1852), British classical scholar and chronologist
- George Clinton (1739-1828), Vice-President of the United States (1739-1812), one of the Founding Fathers of the United States
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Bloxham, Ben. Key to Parochial Registers of Scotland From Earliest Times Through 1854 2nd edition. Provo, UT: Stevenson's Genealogical Center, 1979. Print.
- Scarlett, James D. Tartan The Highland Textile. London: Shepheard-Walwyn, 1990. Print. (ISBN 0-85683-120-4).
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Scots Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Mordern Application of the Art and Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. Acts of Malcom IV 1153-65 Volume I Regesta Regum Scottorum 1153-1424. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1960. Print.
- Skene, William Forbes Edition. Chronicles of the Picts, Chronicles of the Scots and Other Early Memorials of Scottish History. Edinburgh: H.M. General Register House, 1867. Print.
- Catholic Directory For Scotland. Glasgow: Burns Publications. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
The Clinton Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Clinton Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 18 February 2015 at 13:15.
on orders of $85 or more