100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Though hidden in the annals of history, the chronicles of Scotland reveal the early records of the Norman surname Clinton which ranks as one of the oldest. The history of the name is interwoven within the colorful plaid of Scottish history and is an intrinsic part of the heritage of this ancient nation.
The surname Clinton was first found in Oxfordshire, where they were recorded as a family of great antiquity seated at Glinton with manor and estates in that shire. They are said to be descended from Reinbaldus who accompanied the Conqueror into England. Sire Johan de Clinton (d. 1315) was the earliest on record. He assumed his surname from Glinton anciently written Clinton. The peerage of Baron Clinton was created for him in 1298.  This began a long line of Barons Clinton including: John de Clinton, 2nd Baron Clinton (d. c. 1335); John de Clinton, 3rd Baron Clinton (d. 1398); William de Clinton, 4th Baron Clinton (1378-1431); John de Clinton, 5th Baron Clinton (1410-1464) and others.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Clinton, Glinton, Clintone and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Clinton research. Another 137 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1330, 1572, 1415, 1386, 1394, 1397, 1404, 1414, 1415, 1378, 1431, 1512, 1585, 1624, 1657, 1646, 1648, 1686, 1761, 1731, 1743, 1753 and are included under the topic Early Clinton History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 351 words (25 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Clinton Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Clinton family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 125 words (9 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Clinton Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Joseph Clinton settled in St. Christopher in 1635
- Jo Clinton, aged 19, arrived in St Christopher in 1635
- Mary Clinton, who landed in Virginia in 1636
- Edward Clinton settled in Barbados in 1654
- Cornelius Clinton who settled in Virginia in 1656
Clinton Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Charles Clinton settled in New York in 1728, from Northumberland in England
- Christiana Clinton, who arrived in New York in 1729
- Francis Clinton, who landed in New England in 1730
- John Clinton settled in New England in 1753
Clinton Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Bartholmew Clinton, who arrived in New York, NY in 1816
- Bartholomew Clinton, who landed in New York, NY in 1816
- Dolly Clinton, who landed in New York, NY in 1817
- Hannah Clinton, who arrived in New York, NY in 1817
- James Clinton, who landed in New York, NY in 1817
Clinton Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. William Clinton U.E who settled in Saint John, New Brunswick c. 1783
Clinton Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Brien Clinton, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1830
Clinton Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Patrick Clinton, aged 22, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1851 aboard the ship "Catherine"
- Patrick Clinton, aged 22, a labourer, arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Catherine" in 1851
Clinton Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John Clinton arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Mermaid" in 1859
- George William Clinton (1807-1885), American politician, Mayor of Buffalo, New York (1842-1843)
- Larry Clinton (1909-1985), American trumpeter, bandleader and arranger who worked with Tommy Dorsey, Jimmy Dorsey, Glen Gray, Louis Armstrong and others
- George Clinton (b. 1941), American singer, songwriter, bandleader, and music producer, inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1997
- Gordon S. Clinton (b. 1920), American politician, Mayor of Seattle (1956-1964)
- James Clinton (1736-1812), American Revolutionary War officer
- Hillary Diane Rodham Clinton Senator (b. 1947), American lawyer/wife of former President Clinton, former 67th United States Secretary of State (2009-2013)
- Clifford E. Clinton, American politician, Candidate for Mayor of Los Angeles, California, 1945
- Charles Clinton (1767-1829), American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Orange County, 1801-02
- C. L. Clinton, American politician, Mayor of Dodge City, Kansas, 1952-54
- Albert Clinton, American politician, Delegate to South Carolina State Constitutional Convention from Lancaster County, 1868
- ^ Shirley, Evelyn Philip, The Noble and Gentle Men of England; The Arms and Descents. Westminster: John Bower Nichols and Sons, 1866, Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Fairbairn,. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Bloxham, Ben. Key to Parochial Registers of Scotland From Earliest Times Through 1854 2nd edition. Provo, UT: Stevenson's Genealogical Center, 1979. Print.
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and Don Pottinger. Clan Map Scotland of Old. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1983. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry Including American Families with British Ancestry 2 Volumes. London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Skene, William Forbes Edition. Chronicles of the Picts, Chronicles of the Scots and Other Early Memorials of Scottish History. Edinburgh: H.M. General Register House, 1867. Print.
- Catholic Directory For Scotland. Glasgow: Burns Publications. Print.
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. Acts of Malcom IV 1153-65 Volume I Regesta Regum Scottorum 1153-1424. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1960. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
The Clinton Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Clinton Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 15 January 2016 at 10:22.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!