on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: Dutch, English, Scottish
Where did the Scottish Bennett family come from? What is the Scottish Bennett family crest and coat of arms? When did the Bennett family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Bennett family history?The chronicles of the Bennett family indicate that the name was first used by the Strathclyde Britons of the Scottish/English Borderlands. Bennett is derived from the ancient Latin given name Benedictus, which means blessed.
The many spelling variations in Medieval Scottish names result from the fact that scribes in that era spelled words according to sound. Translation too, was an undeveloped science, and many names were altered into complete obscurity. Over the years Bennett has been spelled Bennett, Bennet, Benett, Benet and others.
First found in Lancashire (located in northwest England and dates back to 1180), where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bennett research. Another 206 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1066, 1200, 1300, 1594, 1603, 1652, 1743, 1793, 1795, 1797, 1822, 1836, 1872, 1883, and 1899 are included under the topic Early Bennett History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 81 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bennett Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Bennett family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 330 words (24 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
To escape the uncertainties and discrimination faced in Scotland, many decided to head out for North America. Once they arrived, many Scots fought with relish in the American War of Independence; some went north to Canada as United Empire Loyalists. Many ancestors of these Scots have recovered their lost national heritage in the 20th century through Clan organizations and Scottish historical societies. Among the settlers to North America were:
- David Bennett of Rowley, Massachusetts a Physician
Bennett Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Joane Bennett, who arrived in Virginia in 1622
- Samiell Bennett, who arrived in Virginia in 1622
- Satnwell Bennett, who arrived in Virginia in 1623
- Robt Bennett, who arrived in Virginia in 1623
- Rich Bennett, who landed in Virginia in 1635
Bennett Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Nicho Bennett, who landed in Virginia in 1700
- Anne Bennett, who arrived in Virginia in 1702
- Writ Bennett, who arrived in Virginia in 1704
- Peter Bennett, who arrived in Virginia in 1704
- Thos Bennett, who arrived in Virginia in 1717
Bennett Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Z Bennett, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1811
- Uzziel Bennett, who landed in America in 1811
- Reuben Bennett, aged 34, arrived in New York in 1812
- Obadiah Bennett, aged 25, arrived in Maine in 1812
- Philip, Bennett Jr., who landed in New York, NY in 1831
Bennett Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Max Bennett, who landed in Arkansas in 1900
- Mary Ann Bennett, who landed in Arkansas in 1905
Bennett Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Win Bennett, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1749
- Martha Bennett, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1750
- Prisilla Bennett, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1750
- Mr. John Bennett U.E who settled in New Brunswick c. 1783
Bennett Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Mary Anne Bennett, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1810
- Francis Bennett, who landed in Canada in 1817
- Joel Bennett, who landed in Canada in 1828
- Glover Bennett, who arrived in Canada in 1834
- William Bennett, aged 13, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1834 aboard the schooner "Sarah" from Belfast
Bennett Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Lewis Bennett, English convict from London, who was transported aboard the "Adamant" on March 16, 1821, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- George Bennett, English convict from Devon, who was transported aboard the "Arab" on July 3, 1822, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Austraila
- John Bennett, English convict from Middlesex, who was transported aboard the "Asia" on April 1st, 1822, settling in New South Wales, Austraila
- John Bennett, English convict from Leicester, who was transported aboard the "Asia" on July 29th, 1823, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- William Bennett, English convict from Nottingham, who was transported aboard the "Asia" on July 29th, 1823, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
Bennett Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Geo White Bennett landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1840 aboard the ship Cuba
- John Bennett landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1840
- Thomas Bennett landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1840
- William Bennett landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1840
- George Bennett, aged 25, a seaman, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Cuba" in 1840
- Wayne D. Bennett (1927-2015), American politician, Member of the Iowa House of Representatives (1973-1993)
- Roy C. Bennett (1918-2015), American songwriter
- Lawrence Ray Bennett (1947-1988), American Pharmaceutical Chemist from Chelsea, Michigan, America, who flew aboard the Pan Am Flight 103 from Frankfurt to Detroit, known as the Lockerbie bombing in 1988 and died
- Ms J Bennett, American passenger from USA, who flew aboard American Airlines Flight 191 and died in the crash on May 25, 1979
- James Gordon Bennett Sr. (1795-1872), American first publisher of the New York Herald newspaper
- Charles L. Bennett (b. 1956), American observational astrophysicist
- Max Bennett (b. 1928), American jazz bassist and session musician
- Tony Bennett (b. 1926), American singer of popular music, standards, show tunes, and jazz born Anthony Dominick Benedetto
- Clay Bennett (b. 1958), American editorial cartoonist awarded the 2002 Pulitzer Prize for Editorial Cartooning
- Bruce Bennett (1906-2007), born Herman Brix, American actor
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry Including American Families with British Ancestry 2 Volumes. London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Scots Kith and Kin And Illustrated Map Revised 2nd Edition. Edinburgh: Clan House/Albyn. Print.
- Warner, Philip Warner. Famous Scottish Battles. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1996. Print. (ISBN 0-76070-004-4).
- Adam, Frank. Clans Septs and Regiments of the Scottish Highlands 8th Edition. London: Bacon (G.W.) & Co, 1970. Print. (ISBN 10-0717945006).
The Bennett Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Bennett Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 November 2015 at 15:05.
on orders of $85 or more