Wingert History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Wingert family
The surname Wingert was first found in Durham where they held a family seat at Wingate (now Wingate-Grange), in the parish of Kelloe.  
Wingate dates back to c. 1070-1080 when it was first listed as Windegatum and literally meant "wind-swept gap(s) or pass(es)" from the Old English words "wind-geat." The township of Windgates is in Northumberland and it dates back to 1208 when it was first listed as Wyndegates. 
Important Dates for the Wingert family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wingert research. Another 88 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1251, 1518, 1592, 1596, 1656, 1620, 1606, 1685, 1640 and 1648 are included under the topic Early Wingert History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Wingert Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Wingate, Windgate, Wyngate, Wingett, Wingit and others.
Early Notables of the Wingert family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family name during their early history was Ninian Winzet, Winyet or Wingate (1518-1592), Scottish controversialist, born in Renfrew. "Families of the same name held property and rented lands in Glasgow and the vicinity. " 
Edmund Wingate (1596-1656), was an English mathematical and legal writer, one of the first to publish in the 1620s on the principle of the...
Another 61 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Wingert Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Wingert migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical Wingert Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Wingert Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Peter Wingert, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1748 
- Johan Herbert Wingert, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1752 
- Nicholas Wingert, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1765 
Wingert Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Jackob Wingert, who landed in Wisconsin in 1911 
Contemporary Notables of the name Wingert (post 1700)
- Harry Shindle Wingert (1865-1928), American football coach
- Emmert Laurson Wingert (1899-1971), American jurist, Member of the Wisconsin Supreme Court (1956-1959)
- Norman "Norm" Wingert (b. 1950), retired American soccer goalkeeper, father of Chris Wingert
- Wallace E. "Wally" Wingert (b. 1961), American actor and voice actor, current voice of Jon Arbuckle in The Garfield Show
- Chris Wingert (b. 1982), American soccer
- Oliver Wingert, American politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Pennsylvania, 1922, 1924, 1926 
- Kenneth D. Wingert, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Pennsylvania, 2004 
- George Wingert, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Kansas 5th District, 1990 
- Lutz Wingert (b. 1958), German philosopher, awarded the Karl Jaspers Prize in 1998
You May Also Like
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Smith, Eldson Coles, New Dictionary of American Family Names New York, Harper & Row, 1956. Print
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ Smith, George (ed), Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co., 1885-1900. Print
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 12) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html