Wingert History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Wingert family
The surname Wingert was first found in Austria, where the name Wingert became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. In their later history, bearers of the name became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family. The origin of the name Wingert is somewhat uncertain. It most likely comes from the German words "wein," meaning "wine" and "garten," meaning "enclosure," therefore referring to a vineyard, but it is impossible to know whether the name was given to its first bearer because he worked at a vineyard, owned one, or merely lived near one.
Important Dates for the Wingert family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wingert research. Another 83 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Wingert History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Wingert Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Weingard, Weingart, Weingardt, Weingarden, Weingarten, Weingartz, Wingert, Weingartner and many more.
Early Notables of the Wingert family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Wingert Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Wingert migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical Wingert Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Wingert Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Peter Wingert, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1748 
- Johan Herbert Wingert, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1752 
- Nicholas Wingert, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1765 
Wingert Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Jackob Wingert, who landed in Wisconsin in 1911 
Contemporary Notables of the name Wingert (post 1700)
- Harry Shindle Wingert (1865-1928), American football coach
- Emmert Laurson Wingert (1899-1971), American jurist, Member of the Wisconsin Supreme Court (1956-1959)
- Norman "Norm" Wingert (b. 1950), retired American soccer goalkeeper, father of Chris Wingert
- Wallace E. "Wally" Wingert (b. 1961), American actor and voice actor, current voice of Jon Arbuckle in The Garfield Show
- Chris Wingert (b. 1982), American soccer
- Oliver Wingert, American politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Pennsylvania, 1922, 1924, 1926 
- Kenneth D. Wingert, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Pennsylvania, 2004 
- George Wingert, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Kansas 5th District, 1990 
- Lutz Wingert (b. 1958), German philosopher, awarded the Karl Jaspers Prize in 1998
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 12) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html