on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Walkup was first found in Dumfriesshire
, where they held a family seat
in Wauchopedale from about the year 1150. Robert de Wauchope was one of twelve knights who negotiated the law of the border territories in 1249.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Waugh, Wauchope, Waughe, Walge, Wach, Walcht and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Walkup research. Another 317 words (23 lines of text) covering the years 1296, 1590, 1672, 1656, 1734, 1723, 1751 and are included under the topic Early Walkup History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 51 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Walkup Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the Walkup family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 89 words (6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland
is included in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Mathew Waugh, a soldier, settled in St. John's, Newfoundland, in 1837; John Wauchope settled in Philadelphia in 1825; Dorothy Waugh settled in New England in 1656.
- James Elton Walkup (1909-1997), American Major League Baseball pitcher who played from 1934 through 1939
- James Huey "Jim" Walkup (1895-1990), American Major League Baseball pitcher for the Detroit Tigers in 1927
- Bruce Walkup (b. 1944), retired American racecar driver
- John Walkup, American politician, 5th Lieutenant Governor of California, 1858 to 1860
- Robert E. Walkup (b. 1936), American politician, Mayor of Tucson, Arizona (1999-2011)
- Mary Roe Walkup, American delegate in the Maryland House of Delegates
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Dorward, David. Scottish Surnames. Glasgow: Harper Collins, 1995. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Urquhart, Blair Edition. Tartans The New Compact Study Guide and Identifier. Secauccus, NJ: Chartwell Books, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0-7858-0050-6).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry Including American Families with British Ancestry 2 Volumes. London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and David Hicks. The Highland Clans The Dynastic Origins, Cheifs and Background of the Clans. New York: C.N. Potter, 1968. Print.
- Donaldson, Gordon and Robert S. Morpeth. Who's Who In Scotish History. Wales: Welsh Academic Press, 1996. Print. (ISBN 186057-0054).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
This page was last modified on 17 May 2015 at 02:53.
on orders of $85 or more