name Hunningfith comes from the family having resided in the market town and civil parish of Hungerford, a market town and civil parish in Berkshire, 9 miles (14.5 km) west of Newbury. It dates back to at least 1101-18 and was derived from the term "hunger ford", meaning "ford leading to poor land." CITATION[CLOSE]
Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
There is an old legend that "Hingwar the Dane" (Ivarr the Boneless, d. 873?) drowned accidentally while crossing the Kennet, and that the town was named after him. By 1241, it called itself a borough. And in the late 14th century John of Gaunt, medieval lord of the manor granted the people of the village the lucrative fishing rights on the River Kennet.
Early Origins of the Hunningfith family
The surname Hunningfith was first found in Gloucestershire
at Down Ampney, a parish, in the union of Cirencester, chiefly in the hundred
of Crowthorne and Minety. "The manor-house, a very interesting specimen of ancient architecture, was formerly one of the many seats of the Hungerford family, and is situated precisely on the border line of the two shires." CITATION[CLOSE]
Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
Farleigh-Hungerford in Somerset was another ancient family seat. " This place derives the adjunct to its name from the distinguished family of Hungerford, for more than 300 years lords of the manor, which was sold in 1370, with the hundred of Wellow, to Sir Thomas Hungerford, steward to John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster.
The castle of Farleigh is of uncertain foundation; it was enlarged in 1378 by Sir Thomas Hungerford, with four towers, of which two are remaining" CITATION[CLOSE]
Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print. A brass plate to the memory of Robert de Hungerford can be found in the church of Hungerford, Berkshire.
Early History of the Hunningfith family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hunningfith research.Another 96 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1541, 1330, 1397, 1378, 1449, 1567, 1627, 1503, 1540, 1607, 1657, 1614, 1657, 1614, 1685, 1660, 1611, 1673, 1645, 1660, 1632 and 1711 are included under the topic Early Hunningfith History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hunningfith Spelling Variations
Hunningfith has been spelled many different ways. Before English spelling became standardized over the last few hundred years, spelling variations
in names were a common occurrence. As the English language changed in the Middle Ages, absorbing pieces of Latin and French, as well as other languages, the spelling of people's names also changed considerably, even over a single lifetime. Spelling variants included: Hungerford, Hungerton, Huningford and others.
Early Notables of the Hunningfith family (pre 1700)
Notables of the family at this time include Thomas Hungerford, first recorded Speaker of the House of Commons (1330-1397); Walter Hungerford, 1st Baron
Hungerford, Speaker of the House of Commons (1378-1449); Sir Anthony Hungerford of Black Bourton (1567-1627), a religious controversialist; Walter Hungerford, 1st Baron
Hungerford of Heytesbury (1503-1540), the first... Another 123 words (9 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hunningfith Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Hunningfith family to Ireland
Some of the Hunningfith family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland
is included in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Hunningfith family to the New World and Oceana
In an attempt to escape the chaos experienced in England
, many English families boarded overcrowded and diseased ships sailing for the shores of North America and other British colonies. Those families hardy enough, and lucky enough, to make the passage intact were rewarded with land and a social environment less prone to religious and political persecution. Many of these families became important contributors to the young colonies in which they settled. Early immigration and passenger lists have documented some of the first Hunningfiths to arrive on North American shores: Joan and Sarah Hungerford settled in Virginia in 1650; John Hungerton settled in Virginia in 1648; Thomas Hungerford settled in New London Conn in 1633..
The Hunningfith Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Et Dieu mon appui
Motto Translation: And God my support.
Hunningfith Family Crest Products
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.