100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Hathaway family come from? What is the English Hathaway family crest and coat of arms? When did the Hathaway family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Hathaway family history?The history of the name Hathaway begins with the Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. It is derived from the Old German personal names Hathuwic or Hadewic, or from the Old English personal name Heathuwig, which means war-warrior.
The English language only became standardized in the last few centuries; therefore, spelling variations are common among early Anglo-Saxon names. As the form of the English language changed, even the spelling of literate people's names evolved. Hathaway has been recorded under many different variations, including Hathaway, Hatheway, Hathoway, Hathway and others.
First found in Gloucestershire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hathaway research. Another 287 words(20 lines of text) covering the year 1200 is included under the topic Early Hathaway History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Hathaway Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
For many English families, the political and religious disarray that shrouded England made the far away New World an attractive prospect. On cramped disease-ridden ships, thousands migrated to those British colonies that would eventually become Canada and the United States. Those hardy settlers that survived the journey often went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations in which they landed. Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Hathaway or a variant listed above:
Hathaway Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Arthur Hathaway, who landed in Massachusetts in 1630
- John and Susan Hathaway settled in Boston in 1635
- Thomas Hathaway, who landed in Virginia in 1638
- John Hathaway, who landed in New Netherland(s) in 1639
- Francis Hathaway settled in Virginia in 1652
Hathaway Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- George Hathaway, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- William Hathaway, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- W Hathaway, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- L Hathaway, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- S Hathaway, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
Hathaway Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Hathaway, English convict from Middlesex, who was transported aboard the "Agamemnon" on April 22, 1820, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- Ray Wilson Hathaway (1916-2015), American Major League Baseball pitcher who appeared in four games for the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1945
- Lalah Hathaway (b. 1968), American contemporary R&B and jazz singer
- Hillary Houston Hathaway (b. 1969), American Major League Baseball pitcher
- Kenya Canelibra Hathaway (b. 1970), contemporary American R&B and jazz singer
- Felix Hathaway (1798-1856), American carpenter and pioneer in what became the state of Oregon
- Clarence A. "Charlie" Hathaway (1892-1963), American activist in the Minnesota trade union movement
- Noah Leslie Hathaway (b. 1971), American former child actor
- Anne Jacqueline Hathaway (b. 1982), American Academy Award Emmy Award winning actress
- Henry Hathaway (1898-1985), American film director and producer
- Donny Edward Hathaway (1945-1979), American soul musician
- A Harkrader-Hathaway History by Charles Briggs Hathaway.
- Jesse Hathaway Family by Gail Abner Hathaway.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
The Hathaway Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hathaway Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 February 2015 at 11:04.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!