on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, German
Where did the English Woodman family come from? What is the English Woodman family crest and coat of arms? When did the Woodman family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Woodman family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Woodman, Wudman, Wouldman, Wodeman, Woodmann, Woodeman, Woodmansey and many more.
First found in Yorkshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the manor of Woodmansey from very ancient times, some say before the Norman Conquest in 1066 A.D. The name appeared as a holder of lands in the Domesday Book survey taken in 1086 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Woodman research. Another 305 words(22 lines of text) covering the years 1400, 1477, 1486, 1493, and 1718 are included under the topic Early Woodman History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Woodman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Woodman family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 117 words(8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Woodman Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Henry Woodman settled in Virginia in 1635
- Hercules and Richard Woodman settled in Boston in 1635
- Edward Woodman, who arrived in Newbury, Massachusetts in 1635
- Henry Woodman, aged 22, landed in Virginia in 1635
- Hercules Woodman, who arrived in America in 1635
Woodman Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John and Mary Woodman settled in Georgia in 1733
Woodman Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Woodman settled in North Side in 1855 and was a fisherman
Woodman Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- John Woodman, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1761
Woodman Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- John Woodman settled in Cove Parish, Newfoundland in 1848
Woodman Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- George Woodman, English convict from Wiltshire, who was transported aboard the "Asia" on October 22nd, 1824, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- William Woodman, English convict from Middlesex, who was transported aboard the "Arab" on February 22, 1834, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Austraila
- Samuel Woodman, aged 25, a farm servant, arrived in South Australia in 1851 aboard the ship "Omega"
- Walter Woodman, aged 33, a farm labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1853 aboard the ship "Macedon"
- Henry George Watson Woodman (aged 39), a carpenter, arrived in South Australia in 1856 aboard the ship "Eliza"
Woodman Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John Woodman landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1840
- Thomas Woodman landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1840
- Mary Woodman, aged 29, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Bolton" in 1840
- Thomas Woodman, aged 29, a farm labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Bolton" in 1840
- John Woodman, aged 8, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Bolton" in 1840
- Francesca Woodman (1958-1981), American experimental photographer
- Trevor Woodman, English rugby union footballer
- Richard Woodman (b. 1944), English novelist and naval historian
- Daniel Woodman, naval officer, Portland Maine
- The Woodmans of Rhode Island: Descendants of John Woodman of Little Compton, Rhode Island by Helen Denny Woodman.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
The Woodman Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Woodman Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 January 2015 at 12:49.
on orders of $85 or more