on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, German
Where did the English Wiseman family come from? What is the English Wiseman family crest and coat of arms? When did the Wiseman family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Wiseman family history?The name Wiseman comes from the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture of Britain. It was a name for a wise or learned person. Further research revealed that the name is derived from the Old English words wis, meaning wise or knowledgable, and man, meaning man.
Only recently has spelling become standardized in the English language. As the English language evolved in the Middle Ages, the spelling of names changed also. The name Wiseman has undergone many spelling variations, including Wiseman, Wyseman, Wysman, Wisman and others.
First found in Essex where they held a family seat, before and after the Norman Conquest in 1066.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wiseman research. Another 255 words(18 lines of text) covering the years 1232, 1296, 1305, 1513, 1629, 1688, 1677, 1685, 1632, 1712, 1661 and 1679 are included under the topic Early Wiseman History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 141 words(10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Wiseman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Wiseman family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 35 words(2 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
To escape the unstable social climate in England of this time, many families boarded ships for the New World with the hope of finding land, opportunity, and greater religious and political freedom. Although the voyages were expensive, crowded, and difficult, those families that arrived often found greater opportunities and freedoms than they could have experienced at home. Many of those families went on to make significant contributions to the rapidly developing colonies in which they settled. Early North American records indicate many people bearing the name Wiseman were among those contributors:
Wiseman Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Henry Wiseman, who landed in Maryland in 1633
- Henry and Catherine Wiseman, who settled in Maryland in 1634
- Katherin Wiseman, aged 19, landed in Virginia in 1635
- John Wiseman, who settled in Virginia in 1652
- Thomas Wiseman, who landed in Maryland in 1652-1659
Wiseman Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Henry Wiseman, who settled in Maryland in 1719
- Hugh Wiseman, who arrived in Charles Town, South Carolina, along with Margaret, Mary and Robert, in 1767
- Philipina Wiseman, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1797
- Wirnart Wiseman, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1797
- Devenport Wiseman, who arrived in Mississippi in 1798
Wiseman Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Wiseman, aged 47, landed in Vermont in 1812
- Timothy Wiseman, aged 38, arrived in Delaware in 1812
- Maria Wiseman, who landed in New York, NY in 1840
- Samuel M Wiseman, who arrived in New York, NY in 1840
- Maier Wiseman, who arrived in New York in 1842
Wiseman Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- John Wiseman, who settled in Trinity Bay, Newfoundland, in 1774
- Peter Wiseman, who settled in St. John's, Newfoundland, in 1797
Wiseman Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- John Wiseman, a harness-maker, arrived in Van Diemenís Land (now Tasmania) sometime between 1825 and 1832
- John Wiseman, aged 21, arrived in South Australia in 1851 aboard the ship "Lysander"
- William Wiseman, aged 20, arrived in South Australia in 1851 aboard the ship "Lysander"
- Harriet Wiseman, aged 18, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1851 aboard the ship "Lysander"
- Harriet Wiseman, aged 18, arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Lysander" in 1851
- Frederick Wiseman (b. 1930), American documentary filmmaker
- Mac Wiseman (b. 1925), American country-folk singer
- Lt. Commander Gregory Reid Wiseman (b. 1975), American Navy test pilot and NASA astronaut candidate
- Nicholas Patrick Stephen Wiseman (1802-1865), English prelate, Roman Catholic Church Cardinal
- Mr. Phillippe Wiseman (d. 1912), aged 54, English Third Class passenger from London who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and died in the sinking
- Mr. James Wiseman (d. 1915), English Second Baker from Bootle, Lancashire, England, who worked aboard the RMS Lusitania and died in the sinking
- Sir William Wiseman (1885-1962), tenth Baronet of Ulster, British soldier, head of British intelligence in Washington during World War I
- Clarence Wiseman (1905-1978), Canadian General (international leader) The Salvation Army
- Joseph Wiseman (b. 1918), Canadian actor
- Joseph Wiseman (1918-2009), Canadian theater and film actor, best known for his role as Dr. No in the first James Bond film
- The Wiseman Family and Allied Lines by Eugene M. Wiseman.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
The Wiseman Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Wiseman Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 November 2014 at 16:22.
on orders of $85 or more