100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English
The name Wiseman comes from the ancient Anglo-Saxon
culture of Britain. It was a name for a wise or learned
person. Further research revealed that the name is derived from the Old English words wis,
meaning wise or knowledgable,
and man, meaning man.
The surname Wiseman was first found in Essex
where they held a family seat
, before and after the Norman Conquest
Only recently has spelling become standardized in the English language. As the English language evolved in the Middle Ages, the spelling of names changed also. The name Wiseman has undergone many spelling variations, including Wiseman, Wyseman, Wysman, Wisman and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wiseman research. Another 255 words (18 lines of text) covering the years 1232, 1296, 1305, 1513, 1629, 1688, 1677, 1685, 1632, 1712, 1661 and 1679 are included under the topic Early Wiseman History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 141 words (10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Wiseman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the Wiseman family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 35 words (2 lines of text) about their life in Ireland
is included in all our PDF Extended History products
To escape the unstable social climate in England
of this time, many families boarded ships for the New World with the hope of finding land, opportunity, and greater religious and political freedom. Although the voyages were expensive, crowded, and difficult, those families that arrived often found greater opportunities and freedoms than they could have experienced at home. Many of those families went on to make significant contributions to the rapidly developing colonies in which they settled. Early North American records indicate many people bearing the name Wiseman were among those contributors:
Wiseman Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Henry Wiseman, who landed in Maryland in 1633
- Henry and Catherine Wiseman, who settled in Maryland in 1634
- Katherin Wiseman, aged 19, landed in Virginia in 1635
- John Wiseman, who settled in Virginia in 1652
- Thomas Wiseman, who landed in Maryland in 1652-1659
Wiseman Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Henry Wiseman, who settled in Maryland in 1719
- Hugh Wiseman, who arrived in Charles Town, South Carolina, along with Margaret, Mary and Robert, in 1767
- Philipina Wiseman, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1797
- Wirnart Wiseman, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1797
- Devenport Wiseman, who arrived in Mississippi in 1798
Wiseman Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Wiseman, aged 47, landed in Vermont in 1812
- Timothy Wiseman, aged 38, arrived in Delaware in 1812
- Maria Wiseman, who landed in New York, NY in 1840
- Samuel M Wiseman, who arrived in New York, NY in 1840
- Maier Wiseman, who arrived in New York in 1842
Wiseman Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- John Wiseman, who settled in Trinity Bay, Newfoundland, in 1774
- Peter Wiseman, who settled in St. John's, Newfoundland, in 1797
Wiseman Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- John Wiseman, a harness-maker, arrived in Van Diemenís Land (now Tasmania) sometime between 1825 and 1832
- John Wiseman, aged 21, arrived in South Australia in 1851 aboard the ship "Lysander"
- William Wiseman, aged 20, arrived in South Australia in 1851 aboard the ship "Lysander"
- Harriet Wiseman, aged 18, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1851 aboard the ship "Lysander"
- Harriet Wiseman, aged 18, arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Lysander" in 1851
- Lt. Commander Gregory Reid Wiseman (b. 1975), American Navy test pilot and NASA astronaut candidate
- J. Frank Wiseman, American Democrat politician, City manager of Clarksburg, West Virginia, 1951
- Fred E. Wiseman, American politician, Postmaster at Charleston, West Virginia, 1957-60 (acting, 1957-58)
- Emmett O. Wiseman (1903-1989), American Democrat politician, Member of West Virginia State House of Delegates from Fayette County, 1935-36; Member of West Virginia State Senate, 1937-40
- Earl Wiseman, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Arkansas, 1936
- Dorothy M. Wiseman, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Texas, 2004
- Coran A. Wiseman, American Republican politician, Candidate for West Virginia State House of Delegates from Fayette County, 1950
- Arthur F. McL. Wiseman, American Republican politician, Candidate for New York State Senate, 1948, 1962
- A. D. Wiseman, American politician, Mayor of Adel, Georgia, 1908-09
- John Wiseman, American politician, Mayor of Marshall, Michigan, 1889-90
- The Wiseman Family and Allied Lines by Eugene M. Wiseman.
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
The Wiseman Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Wiseman Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 15 March 2016 at 11:08.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!