Winger History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Winger family
The surname Winger was first found in Durham where they held a family seat at Wingate (now Wingate-Grange), in the parish of Kelloe.  
Wingate dates back to c. 1070-1080 when it was first listed as Windegatum and literally meant "wind-swept gap(s) or pass(es)" from the Old English words "wind-geat." The township of Windgates is in Northumberland and it dates back to 1208 when it was first listed as Wyndegates. 
Important Dates for the Winger family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Winger research. Another 88 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1251, 1518, 1592, 1596, 1656, 1620, 1606, 1685, 1640 and 1648 are included under the topic Early Winger History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Winger Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Wingate, Windgate, Wyngate, Wingett, Wingit and others.
Early Notables of the Winger family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family name during their early history was Ninian Winzet, Winyet or Wingate (1518-1592), Scottish controversialist, born in Renfrew. "Families of the same name held property and rented lands in Glasgow and the vicinity. " 
Edmund Wingate (1596-1656), was an English mathematical and legal writer, one of the first to publish in the 1620s on the principle of the...
Another 61 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Winger Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Winger migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical Winger Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Winger Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Ann Winger, aged 56, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1735 
- Lazerus Winger, aged 19, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1735 
- Jacob Winger, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1754 
Winger Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Winger, who arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1862 
Contemporary Notables of the name Winger (post 1700)
- Debra Lynn Winger (b. 1955), American three-time Academy Award nominated actress from Cleveland Heights, Ohio, best known for roles in An Officer and a Gentleman (1982), Terms of Endearment (1983), and Shadowlands (1993)
- Charles Frederick Kip Winger (b. 1961), American rock musician, a member of the rock band Winger
- Oscar Winger, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Minnesota, 1956 
- Jacob B. Winger, American Republican politician, Postmaster at Springfield, Missouri, 1864-66 
- Charles O. Winger, American politician, Prohibition Candidate for Secretary of State of Minnesota, 1894 
- Al Winger, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Colorado, 1944 
You May Also Like
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Smith, Eldson Coles, New Dictionary of American Family Names New York, Harper & Row, 1956. Print
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ Smith, George (ed), Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co., 1885-1900. Print
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 12) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html