on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Westwood family come from? What is the English Westwood family crest and coat of arms? When did the Westwood family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Westwood family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Westwood, Westwoode, Weswood and others.
First found in Wiltshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, and held the village of Westwood as a tenant of the Bishop of Winchester before and after the Norman Conquest in 1066. The village consisted of a mill, but is now two villages, Westwood and Upper Westwood.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Westwood research. Another 279 words(20 lines of text) covering the year 1450 is included under the topic Early Westwood History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Westwood Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Westwood Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Westwood settled in Cambridge Massachusetts in 1630
- William and Bridget Westwood settled in New England in 1634
- Mathew Westwood, aged 18, landed in Barbados in 1635
- Robert Westwood, who arrived in Virginia in 1643
- Robert Westwood who settled in Virginia in 1643
Westwood Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Westwood, who arrived in New York in 1812
- Caroline Westwood, aged 19, arrived in New York in 1868
- William Westwood, who arrived in St Clair County, III in 1870
- Edward Westwood, who landed in St Clair County, Illinois in 1872
Westwood Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Mary Westwood, aged 19, arrived in South Australia in 1849 aboard the ship "Indian"
- Hannah Westwood, aged 18, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Mallard"
Westwood Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Joseph Westwood landed in Auckland, New Zealand in 1841
- James Westwood, aged 20, a carpenter, arrived in Port Nicholson aboard the ship "Slains Castle" in 1841
- Lee Westwood (b. 1973), English PGA golfer
- William John "Bill" Westwood (1925-1999), 36th Anglican Bishop of Peterborough (1984 to 1996)
- Bryan Westwood (1930-2000), Australian artist, two-time winner of the Archibald Prize
- John Obadiah Westwood (1805-1893), British entomologist and archaeologist
- Joseph Westwood (1884-1948), Scottish Labour politician
- Keiren Westwood (b. 1984), British football player
- Troy Westwood (b. 1967), Canadian CFL football player
- Dame Vivienne Westwood DBE, RDI (b. 1941), born Vivienne Swire, British fashion designer
- William James Westwood (1887-1954), Canadian politician
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
The Westwood Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Westwood Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 1 February 2015 at 10:42.
on orders of $85 or more