on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the English Westwood family come from? What is the English Westwood family crest and coat of arms? When did the Westwood family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Westwood family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Westwood, Westwoode, Weswood and others.
First found in Wiltshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, and held the village of Westwood as a tenant of the Bishop of Winchester before and after the Norman Conquest in 1066. The village consisted of a mill, but is now two villages, Westwood and Upper Westwood.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Westwood research. Another 279 words (20 lines of text) covering the year 1450 is included under the topic Early Westwood History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Westwood Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Westwood Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Westwood settled in Cambridge Massachusetts in 1630
- William and Bridget Westwood settled in New England in 1634
- Mathew Westwood, aged 18, landed in Barbados in 1635
- Robert Westwood, who arrived in Virginia in 1643
- Robert Westwood who settled in Virginia in 1643
Westwood Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Westwood, who arrived in New York in 1812
- Caroline Westwood, aged 19, arrived in New York in 1868
- William Westwood, who arrived in St Clair County, III in 1870
- Edward Westwood, who landed in St Clair County, Illinois in 1872
Westwood Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Mary Westwood, aged 19, arrived in South Australia in 1849 aboard the ship "Indian"
- Hannah Westwood, aged 18, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Mallard"
Westwood Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Joseph Westwood landed in Auckland, New Zealand in 1841
- James Westwood, aged 20, a carpenter, arrived in Port Nicholson aboard the ship "Slains Castle" in 1841
- William John "Bill" Westwood (1925-1999), 36th Anglican Bishop of Peterborough (1984 to 1996)
- Lee Westwood (b. 1973), English PGA golfer
- William James Westwood (1887-1954), Canadian politician
- Dame Vivienne Westwood DBE, RDI (b. 1941), born Vivienne Swire, British fashion designer
- Troy Westwood (b. 1967), Canadian CFL football player
- Keiren Westwood (b. 1984), British football player
- Joseph Westwood (1884-1948), Scottish Labour politician
- John Obadiah Westwood (1805-1893), British entomologist and archaeologist
- Bryan Westwood (1930-2000), Australian artist, two-time winner of the Archibald Prize
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
The Westwood Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Westwood Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 18 November 2015 at 17:39.
on orders of $85 or more