Welceck History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The generations and branches of the Welceck family share a name that has its roots in the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture of Britain. The name Welceck comes from William or Wilhelm. Tracing the origin of the name further, we found the name Welceck was originally derived from the Germanic elements will, meaning resolve, helm, meaning protection, and cock or cox, an affectionate or diminutive suffix commonly used in ancient times. With the additional suffix, cox, the name was taken to mean the son of little William. 
Early Origins of the Welceck family
The surname Welceck was first found in Lancashire where one of the first records of the name was listed simply as Wilcok with no personal name in the Assize Rolls of that shire in 1246. Wilcoc was listed in the Assize Rolls of Cheshire in 1286 and William Wylecok was listed in Somerset in the Assize Rolls of 1254. Quite of few of the family were found in Yorkshire as shown by John Wilcokes who was listed there in 1316. 
By the time of the Yorkshire Poll Tax Rolls of 1379, there were numerous entries for the name including those with the "son" extension: Richard Wilokson; Adam Wylkokson; Raddulfus Wycok; and Willelmus Wilkocson. 
Further to the north in Scotland, entries for the family were later. "Adam Willicok was admitted burgess of Aberdeen in 1578, and Alexander Willicok in Fechill was bewitched in 1597. " 
Early History of the Welceck family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Welceck research. Another 98 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1600, 1480, 1541, 1558, 1588, 1929, 1515, 1585, 1562, 1549, 1608, 1549, 1566, 1673, 1756, 1673, 1724, 1791, 1723 and 1736 are included under the topic Early Welceck History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Welceck Spelling Variations
Until quite recently, the English language has lacked a definite system of spelling rules. Consequently, Anglo-Saxon surnames are characterized by a multitude of spelling variations. Changes in Anglo-Saxon names were influenced by the evolution of the English language, as it incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other languages. Although Medieval scribes and church officials recorded names as they sounded, so it is common to find one person referred to by several different spellings of his surname, even the most literate people varied the spelling of their own names. Variations of the name Welceck include Wilcox, Wilcocks, Willock, Wallock and others.
Early Notables of the Welceck family (pre 1700)
Distinguished members of the family include Nicolaus Wollick (c. 1480-1541), English music theorist
Robert Willcox (1558-1588), was an English Catholic martyr (one of the Oaten Hill Martyrs) who was hung, drawn and quartered; he was beatified by Pope Pius XI in 1929.
John Willock (or Willocks or Willox) (c. 1515-1585), was a Scottish reformer, a native of Ayrshire and was educated at the University of Glasgow. In 1562 he became rector of All Saints Church, Loughborough in Leicestershire. 
Thomas Wilcox (1549?-1608), was an English Puritan divine, born about 1549, and was 'fellow or scholar...
Migration of the Welceck family to Ireland
Some of the Welceck family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Migration of the Welceck family
Searching for a better life, many English families migrated to British colonies. Unfortunately, the majority of them traveled under extremely harsh conditions: overcrowding on the ships caused the majority of the immigrants to arrive diseased, famished, and destitute from the long journey across the ocean. For those families that arrived safely, modest prosperity was attainable, and many went on to make invaluable contributions to the development of the cultures of the new colonies. Research into the origins of individual families in North America revealed records of the immigration of a number of people bearing the name Welceck or a variant listed above: John Willcocks was a shoreman of St. John's, Newfoundland, who had settled there in 1754; John Wilcock settled in Brigus, Newfoundland, in 1801; John Wilcocks was Master of the ".