The name Walkmill is rooted in the ancient Anglo-Saxon
culture. It was originally a name for someone who worked as a fuller, whose job it was to scour and thicken raw cloth by beating it and trampling it in water. The surname Walkmill is derived from the Old English word wealcere,
which means fuller.
"In the North of England
, fullers' earth is called 'walker's clay,' and a fulling-mill a 'walk-mill.' In Scotland
, to walk, still means to full cloth." CITATION[CLOSE]
Lowe, Mark Anthony, Patronymica Britannica, A Dictionary of Family Names of the United Kingdom. London: John Russel Smith, 1860. Print.
Early Origins of the Walkmill family
The surname Walkmill was first found in Yorkshire
, where they were believed to be descended from a very ancient tribe called the Wealceringas, and the name is considered to be one of the oldest in England
. Their early records have been obscured but in the 12th century, they were recorded as landholders in Yorkshire.
"This name is mainly characteristic of the midlands and of the north of England. It is comparatively infrequent in the counties between the Wash and the Thames. It is absent or rare in the southern part of England south of a line joining the mouths of the Thames and the Severn. Its great home in the midlands is in the counties of Derby and Nottinghamshire. In the north it is most frequent in Durham and Yorkshire." CITATION[CLOSE]
Guppy, Henry Brougham, Homes of Family Names in Great Britain. 1890. Print.
One of the first records of the family was Richard le Walker, rector of the church of St. Elphin, Warrington, Lancashire in 1396. CITATION[CLOSE]
'Townships: Scarisbrick', in A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 3, ed. William Farrer and J Brownbill (London, 1907), pp. 265-276. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/lancs/vol3/pp265-276 [accessed 21 January 2017].
Early History of the Walkmill family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Walkmill research.Another 195 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1248, 1260, 1324, 1361, 1725, 1563, 1611, 1677, 1676, 1597, 1673, 1640, 1643, 1661, 1673, 1599, 1658, 1665, 1616, 1699, 1676, 1688, 1704, 1744, 1618 and are included under the topic Early Walkmill History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Walkmill Spelling Variations
It is only in the last few hundred
years that the English language has been standardized. For that reason, early Anglo-Saxon
surnames like Walkmill are characterized by many spelling variations
. As the English language changed and incorporated elements of other European languages, even literate people changed the spelling of their names. The variations of the name Walkmill include Walker, Walkere and others.
Early Notables of the Walkmill family (pre 1700)
Distinguished members of the family include Sir Edward Walker (1611-1677), Garter King of Arms in 1676; Robert Walker (c.
1597-1673), an English merchant and politician who sat in the House of Commons of England
(1640-1643) and (1661-1673), a strong Royalist during the English Civil War; Robert Walker (1599-1658), an English portrait... Another 67 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Walkmill Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Walkmill family to Ireland
Some of the Walkmill family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 168 words (12 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Walkmill family to the New World and Oceana
Many English families tired of political and religious strife left Britain for the new colonies in North America. Although the trip itself offered no relief - conditions on the ships were extremely cramped, and many travelers arrived diseased, starving, and destitute - these immigrants believed the opportunities that awaited them were worth the risks. Once in the colonies, many of the families did indeed prosper and, in turn, made significant contributions to the culture and economies of the growing colonies. An inquiry into the early roots of North American families has revealed a number of immigrants bearing the name Walkmill or a variant listed above: John Walker, Roger Walker, and Isabel Walker, who all immigrated to Virginia in 1623; Augustine Walker, who settled in Lynn, Massachusetts in 1630; James Walker, who arrived in St. Christopher in 1635.
The Walkmill Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Honesta Quam Magna
Motto Translation: How Great are Honourable Deeds.