The Waik family has descended through the lines of the ancient Normans
that came to England
following their Conquest of England
in 1066. The Waik name reveals that an early member was a watchful or vigilant
person having derived from the Old Norse word vakr,
A broad and miscellaneous class of surnames, nickname
surnames referred to a characteristic of the first person who used the name. They can describe the bearer's favored style of clothing, appearance, habits, or character. There is however, much discrepancy over the origin of the name. One source claims the name originates with Hugh Wac, lord of Wilesford, Lincolnshire
. Another claims the name originated with Hereward le Wake during the time of Edward the Confessor. And Archbishop Wake disowned the Norman ancestry thinking the name was originally Le Wake, or the Watchful, a skilled military commander. CITATION[CLOSE]
Lowe, Mark Anthony, Patronymica Britannica, A Dictionary of Family Names of the United Kingdom. London: John Russel Smith, 1860. Print.
Another source claims that the individual by the name of Wake recorded in the Roll of Battle Abbey was weary of Harold's rule and fled to Normandy
and while there "invited" Duke William to conquer Britain. Lord Wake who died in 1156, was founder of the Abbey of Brun and was claimed descent from Sir Thomas Wake, a gallant knight who fought with the Black Prince. He was sheriff of Northamptonshire under Edward II for many years. CITATION[CLOSE]
Burke, John Bernard, The Roll of Battle Abbey. London: Edward Churton, 26, Holles Street, 1848, Print.
Early Origins of the Waik family
The surname Waik was first found in Lincolnshire
where they held a family seat
as Lords of the manor of Wilsford (Wivelesforde) and under tenants of Godfrey de Cambrai, and represented by Le Sire de Wake. Some of the earliest records reveal Baldwin Wake (died 1282), as a famous warrior and progenitor of the following early line of nobles: John Wake (died 1300), 1st Baron
Wake of Liddell and his son Thomas Wake (1297-1349), 2nd Baron
Wake of Liddell, an English baron; and daughter Margaret Wake (c.
1297-1349), wife of Edmund of Woodstock, 1st Earl of Kent
. This line belonged to the Lincolnshire
family which also had lands in Cumberland.
Early History of the Waik family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Waik research.Another 329 words (24 lines of text) covering the years 1349, 1580, 1632, 1657, 1737, 1716 and 1737 are included under the topic Early Waik History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Waik Spelling Variations
Before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Sound was what guided spelling in the Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Spelling variations
were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Waik family name include Wake, Waik, Wayke and others.
Early Notables of the Waik family (pre 1700)
Another 42 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Waik Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Waik family to the New World and Oceana
To escape the political and religious chaos of this era, thousands of English families began to migrate to the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. The passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe; however, those who made the voyage safely were encountered opportunities that were not available to them in their homeland. Many of the families that reached the New World at this time went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations of the United States and Canada. Research into various historical records has revealed some of first members of the Waik family to immigrate North America: John Wake, who settled in Jamaica in 1690; William Wake settled in Barbados in 1697.
The Waik Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Vigila et Ora
Motto Translation: Watch and Pray