on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Stovall family come from? What is the English Stovall family crest and coat of arms? When did the Stovall family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Stovall family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stowell, Stowel, Stowle, Stole and others.
First found in Somerset where they were Lords of the manor of Cothelston and held a family seat at that location centuries before the Norman Conquest of England in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stovall research. Another 270 words(19 lines of text) covering the year 1623 is included under the topic Early Stovall History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Stovall Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Stovall family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 117 words(8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stovall Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Bartholomew Stovall, who arrived in Virginia in 1683
- Maurice Aurilius Stovall (b. 1985), American football wide receiver
- John Willis Stovall (1891-1953), American paleontologist
- Anthony Stovall (b. 1982), American soccer player
- George Thomas Stovall (1877-1951), American first baseman in Major League Baseball
- Jerry Lane Stovall (b. 1941), former All-American running back
- Thelma Loyace Hawkins Stovall (1919-1994), American pioneering female Southern politician
- Jewell "Babe" Stovall (1907-1974), American Delta blues singer and guitarist
- Carla J. Stovall (b. 1957), American Republican politician
- Marcellus Augustus Stovall (1818-1895), American soldier and merchant
- SJ Stovall (1925-2010), American politician and civil engineer
- The Stovall Family by Lyle Keith Williams.
- The Stovall Family in America by Carmae Massey Smith.
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
The Stovall Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Stovall Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 12 September 2014 at 22:00.
on orders of $85 or more