Stegall History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The origins of the Stegall name lie with England's ancient Anglo-Saxon culture. It comes from when the family lived in the Cheshire area, some say before the Norman invasion of England, in 1066.
Early Origins of the Stegall family
The surname Stegall was first found in Bedfordshire (Old English: Bedanfordscir), located in Southeast-central England, formerly part of the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Mercia, where the family held a family seat in early times. The earliest known bearer of the name was Reginald atte Stighel, who was recorded in the Assize Rolls of 1227. The Stegall family branched to other counties at an early date, also appearing in Somerset, where William de Stile and Osmund Atthe Stihele were living in 1229 and 1234 respectively, as well as in Sussex, where William ate Stegel was recorded in the Subsidy Rolls of 1296.
Early History of the Stegall family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stegall research. Another 104 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1543, 1500, 1624, 1702, 1656, 1659, 1603 and 1679 are included under the topic Early Stegall History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Stegall Spelling Variations
Before the last few hundred years, the English language had no fast system of spelling rules. For that reason, spelling variations are commonly found in early Anglo-Saxon surnames. Over the years, many variations of the name Stegall were recorded, including Stiles, Styals, Styles, Style, Stoyle, Steggle, Steagall, Steggal and many more.
Early Notables of the Stegall family (pre 1700)
Notables of this surname at this time include: Sir Thomas Style, 1st Baronet of Wateringbury, Kent; and his son, Sir Thomas Style, 2nd Baronet (1624-1702) was an English politician, Member of Parliament for Kent (1656-1659.)
William Style (1603-1679), was an "English legal author, eldest son of William Style...
Another 47 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Stegall Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Stegall family to Ireland
Some of the Stegall family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Stegall migration to the United States +
To escape oppression and starvation at that time, many English families left for the "open frontiers" of the New World with all its perceived opportunities. In droves people migrated to the many British colonies, those in North America in particular, paying high rates for passages in cramped, unsafe ships. Although many of the settlers did not make the long passage alive, those who did see the shores of North America perceived great opportunities before them. Many of the families that came from England went on to make essential contributions to the emerging nations of Canada and the United States. Research into various historical records revealed some of first members of the Stegall family emigrate to North America:
Stegall Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Conrad Stegall, aged 24, who settled in America, in 1920
Contemporary Notables of the name Stegall (post 1700) +
- Robert Keith Stegall (b. 1955), American country music recording artist and record producer
- Casey Stegall (b. 1979), American network correspondent for Fox News Channel, based in Los Angeles
- Caleb Stegall (b. 1971), American attorney and writer, Justice of the Kansas Supreme Court (2014-)
- Milton Eugene Stegall (b. 1970), American retired professional gridiron football player
- Robert Keith Stegall (b. 1955), American country music recording artist and record producer from Wichita Falls, Texas
- Mary L. Stegall, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 2008 
- Barbara Nell Stegall (b. 1934), American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Tennessee, 2004 
Related Stories +
Suggested Readings for the name Stegall +
- 4422 "William Jasper Stigall" by William Jasper Stigall.