on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the English Stanford family come from? What is the English Stanford family crest and coat of arms? When did the Stanford family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Stanford family history?The Stanford family name comes from having lived in one of the many villages called Stanford, found in at least ten parishes in England. As such, the surname Stanford is classed as a habitation name, derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stanford, Standerford and others.
First found in Staffordshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, as Lords of the manor of Stamford, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stanford research. Another 270 words (19 lines of text) covering the years 1175 and 1461 are included under the topic Early Stanford History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Stanford Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Stanford family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 112 words (8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stanford Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Ann Stanford, who arrived in Virginia in 1633
- Jo Stanford, aged 24, landed in Barbados in 1635
- Ann Stanford settled in Virginia in 1637
- Richard Stanford, who arrived in Maryland in 1648
- Nell Stanford, who arrived in Virginia in 1652
Stanford Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Lidia Stanford, who landed in Virginia in 1701
Stanford Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Michael Stanford, aged 34, landed in Virginia in 1812
- S Stanford, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Charles Stanford, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Dewitt Stanford, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- William Stanford, who arrived in Arkansas in 1894
Stanford Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Thomas Stanford, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1750
Stanford Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Henry Stanford settled in Adam's Cove, Newfoundland in 1800
Stanford Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Henry Stanford arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Rajasthan" in 1838
- Thomas Stanford arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Rajasthan" in 1838
- Stephen Stanford, aged 30, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Nile"
- Elizabeth Stanford, aged 34, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Switzerland"
- Ellen Stanford, aged 23, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Switzerland"
Stanford Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Louisa Stanford, aged 21, a cook, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Berar" in 1873
- Thomas Stanford, aged 24, a blacksmith, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Dorette" in 1874
- Jessie E. Stanford, aged 20, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Dorette" in 1874
- Richard Stanford, aged 29, a farm labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rakaia" in 1879
- Lydia Stanford, aged 27, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rakaia" in 1879
- Phil Stanford, American journalist and author
- Craig Stanford (b. 1956), American Professor of Biological Sciences and Anthropology at the University of Southern California
- Angela Gwen Stanford (b. 1977), American LPGA professional golfer
- Aaron Stanford (b. 1976), American film actor, best known for his roles as Pyro in X2 and X-Men: The Last Stand
- Sir Allen Stanford (b. 1950), American billionaire convicted of masterminding a $7 billion Ponzi scheme, sentenced 110 years in federal prison
- Leland Stanford (1824-1893), American railroad builder, politician, and philanthropist, founder of Stanford University, California
- Frank Stanford (1948-1978), American poet
- Alan Stanford (b. 1949), English born actor, director and writer
- Edward Stanford (1827-1904), English founder of Stanford's Ltd, a pair of map and book stores based in London and Bristol in 1853
- Mr. Dennis Stanford, British Marine, who sailed in to battle on the HMS Prince of Wales and survived the sinking, was later killed in action in 1942
- Goin' Home by Timeri Murari.
- Moses Stanford, Minuteman by Lois Remington Smith.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
The Stanford Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Stanford Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 2 February 2016 at 14:10.
on orders of $85 or more