Southon History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Southon family
The surname Southon was first found in Suffolk
where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, as Lords of the manor of Sotherton, some say before the Norman Conquest
in 1066. This local
name was derived from the term "the southern" meaning "from the south" and from the Middle English word "sothern." Perhaps Chaucer in his famous Canterbury Tales sums up this surname best "But trusteth wel, I am a sothern man."
Early History of the Southon family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Southon research.Another 262 words (19 lines of text) covering the year 1296 is included under the topic Early Southon History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Southon Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Southern, Sotherton, Sotherne, Sotheron and others.
Early Notables of the Southon family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Southon Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Southon family to Ireland
Some of the Southon family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 111 words (8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Southon family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Southon Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- John Hoyles Southon, who arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Rajasthan" in 1838 CITATION[CLOSE]
State Records of South Australia. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) RAJASTHAN 1838. Retrieved from http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/BSA/1838Rajasthan.htm
Contemporary Notables of the name Southon (post 1700)
- Stephen Southon, English professional cricketer who played first-class cricket from 1825 to 1826
- The Reverend Arthur Eustace "A.E." Southon (1887-1964), English minister in the Methodist Church, and author
- Mike Southon BSC, British cinematographer, past President of the British Society of Cinematographers
- Mike Southon, British entrepreneur and author
Southon Family Crest Products
- ^ State Records of South Australia. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) RAJASTHAN 1838. Retrieved from http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/BSA/1838Rajasthan.htm