Early Origins of the Shealy family
The surname Shealy was first found in Cork (Irish: Corcaigh) the ancient Kingdom of Deis Muin (Desmond), located on the southwest coast of Ireland
in the province of Munster
, where they held a family seat
as an offshoot of the Cahills, being directly descended from Tomhas na Sealbuide, or Thomas of the Seals. Irish history was greatly influenced by the Norman invasion
of 1172, and thereafter, the surnames of Irish Gaelic clanns and septs and many of the Norman families became almost indistinguishable. This family name was found later in Clare where the name assumed Shalloo and represented the first recorded reference to the name.
Early History of the Shealy family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Shealy research.Another 207 words (15 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Shealy History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Shealy Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Shally, Shalvey, Shalloo, Shealy, Shallow, O'Shallow, O'Shally, Shelley, O'Shelley, O'Shalvey and many more.
Early Notables of the Shealy family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Shealy Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Shealy family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Shealy Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Hanora Shealy, who settled in New York sometime between 1854 and 1856
Shealy Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Annie Shealy, aged 16, who landed in America from Mitchelstown, Ireland, in 1910
- Ellie Shealy, aged 18, who emigrated to the United States from Mitchelstown, Ireland, in 1910
- John Shealy, aged 22, who settled in America from Coolagarrawroe, Ireland, in 1911
- Norah Shealy, aged 22, who landed in America from Coolagarrawroe, Ireland, in 1911
- Terence Shealy, aged 47, who emigrated to America, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Shealy (post 1700)
- Victor Dalmuth "Vic" Shealy (b. 1961), American football assistant coach for the Kansas Jayhawks
- Steadman S. Shealy (b. 1958), American attorney and former college quarterback
- Ryan Shealy (b. 1979), American Major League Baseball first baseman
- Rod Shealy Sr. (1953-2010), American Republican political consultant and publisher
- Dal Shealy (b. 1938), American head college football coach for the University of Richmond Spiders
- Courtney Shealy (b. 1977), American Olympic four-time gold medalist freestyle swimmer
- Al Shealy (1900-1967), American Major League Baseball pitcher
- Alonzo Sheck "Shack" Shealy, former head coach of the Clemson college football program