on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the Scottish Sample family come from? What is the Scottish Sample family crest and coat of arms? When did the Sample family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Sample family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Semple, Simple, Sempill, Sempell, Symple, Sympell and many more.
First found in Renfrewshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Rinn Frił), a historic county of Scotland, today encompassing the Council Areas of Renfrew, East Renfrewshire, and Iverclyde, in the Strathclyde region of southwestern Scotland, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Scotland to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Sample research. Another 285 words (20 lines of text) covering the years 1280, 1315, 1489, 1558, 1621, 1643, 1741, 1566, 1625, 1591, 1600, 1595, 1663, 1640, 1616, 1682 and 1667 are included under the topic Early Sample History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 93 words (7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Sample Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Sample family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 119 words (8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Sample Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Sample, who landed in Maryland in 1653
Sample Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Lawrence Sample, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1765
Sample Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James Sample, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1808
- Richard Sample, aged 23, landed in New York in 1812
- David Sample, who landed in America in 1819
- Mr. Sample, who arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1822
- Manuel Sample, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1833
Sample Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Nathanl Sample, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1750
Sample Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Margaret Sample, aged 23, arrived in Saint John, NB aboard the ship "Ambassador" in 1834
Sample Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- George Sample arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Weymouth" in 1866
- Samuel Caldwell Sample (1796-1855), United States Representative
- Alexander King Sample (b. 1960), American prelate of the Roman Catholic Church
- James W. Sample (1910-1995), American conductor
- Steve Sample Sr., renowned American bandleader, arranger, composer and jazz educator
- William Dodge Sample (1898-1945), American Rear Admiral in the United States Navy and an Escort Carrier Division commander
- Junior Sample (1926-1983), American comedian
- William Amos Sample (b. 1955), former American professional baseball player
- John B. Sample Jr. (1937-2005), American football defensive back
- Joseph Leslie "Joe" Sample (b. 1939), American pianist, keyboard player and composer
- Alice C. Sample, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Pennsylvania, 1924
- Moody David. Scottish Family History. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0806312688).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Urquhart, Blair Edition. Tartans The New Compact Study Guide and Identifier. Secauccus, NJ: Chartwell Books, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0-7858-0050-6).
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. The Charters of David I The Written Acts of David I King of Scots, 1124-53 and of His Son Henry, Earl of Northumerland, 1139-52. Woodbridge: The Boydell Press, 1999. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Donaldson, Gordon and Robert S. Morpeth. Who's Who In Scotish History. Wales: Welsh Academic Press, 1996. Print. (ISBN 186057-0054).
- Dorward, David. Scottish Surnames. Glasgow: Harper Collins, 1995. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Socts Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Modern Application of the Art of Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
The Sample Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Sample Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 3 January 2016 at 20:30.
on orders of $85 or more