100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish Sample family come from? What is the Scottish Sample family crest and coat of arms? When did the Sample family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Sample family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Semple, Simple, Sempill, Sempell, Symple, Sympell and many more.
First found in Renfrewshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Rinn Frił), a historic county of Scotland, today encompassing the Council Areas of Renfrew, East Renfrewshire, and Iverclyde, in the Strathclyde region of southwestern Scotland, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Scotland to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Sample research. Another 285 words(20 lines of text) covering the years 1280, 1315, 1489, 1558, 1621, 1643, 1741, 1566, 1625, 1591, 1600, 1595, 1663, 1640, 1616, 1682 and 1667 are included under the topic Early Sample History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 93 words(7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Sample Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Sample family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 119 words(8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Sample Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Sample, who landed in Maryland in 1653
Sample Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Lawrence Sample, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1765
Sample Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James Sample, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1808
- Richard Sample, aged 23, landed in New York in 1812
- David Sample, who landed in America in 1819
- Mr. Sample, who arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1822
- Manuel Sample, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1833
Sample Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Nathanl Sample, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1750
Sample Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Margaret Sample, aged 23, arrived in Saint John, NB aboard the ship "Ambassador" in 1834
Sample Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- George Sample arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Weymouth" in 1866
- Joseph Leslie "Joe" Sample (b. 1939), American pianist, keyboard player and composer
- John B. Sample Jr. (1937-2005), American football defensive back
- William Amos Sample (b. 1955), former American professional baseball player
- Junior Sample (1926-1983), American comedian
- William Dodge Sample (1898-1945), American Rear Admiral in the United States Navy and an Escort Carrier Division commander
- Steve Sample Sr., renowned American bandleader, arranger, composer and jazz educator
- James W. Sample (1910-1995), American conductor
- Alexander King Sample (b. 1960), American prelate of the Roman Catholic Church
- Samuel Caldwell Sample (1796-1855), United States Representative
- Paul Sample (b. 1982), British professional ice hockey player
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Urquhart, Blair Edition. Tartans The New Compact Study Guide and Identifier. Secauccus, NJ: Chartwell Books, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0-7858-0050-6).
- Paul, Sir James Balfour. An Ordinary of Arms Contained in the Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland Second Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1903. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Scotch Irish Pioneers In Ulster and America. Montana: Kessinger Publishing. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry Including American Families with British Ancestry 2 Volumes. London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Donaldson, Gordon and Robert S. Morpeth. Who's Who In Scotish History. Wales: Welsh Academic Press, 1996. Print. (ISBN 186057-0054).
- Warner, Philip Warner. Famous Scottish Battles. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1996. Print. (ISBN 0-76070-004-4).
The Sample Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Sample Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 15 June 2014 at 10:10.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!