on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English-Alt, English
Where did the English Roebuck family come from? What is the English Roebuck family crest and coat of arms? When did the Roebuck family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Roebuck family history?The surname Roebuck is a name whose history is entwined with the ancient Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. It was a name for a person who because of their physical characteristics were referred to as roebuck. In this case roebuck was associated with the qualities of purity and fleetness, qualities the original bearer possessed.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Roebuck, Robuck and others.
First found in Kent where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Roebuck research. Another 235 words (17 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Roebuck History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Roebuck Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Roebuck Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Robert Roebuck, who landed in Maryland in 1674
Roebuck Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Jarvis Roebuck, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1745
Roebuck Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Wood Roebuck, who arrived in America in 1806
- Benjamin Disney Roebuck, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1808
- John, John Wood, Nathan, William, William Roebuck all arrived in Philadelphia between 1805 and 1876
Roebuck Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Joseph Roebuck, English convict from Middlesex, who was transported aboard the "Argyle" on March 5th, 1831, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Austraila
- John Roebuck, English convict from York, who was transported aboard the "Anson" on September 23, 1843, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- Ellen Roebuck, aged 17, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1858 aboard the ship "Stamboul"
Roebuck Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Charles Roebuck, aged 35, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Bombay" in 1842
- Elizabeth Roebuck, aged 30, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Bombay" in 1842
- Elizabeth Roebuck, aged 14, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Bombay" in 1842
- George Palmer Roebuck, aged 10, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Bombay" in 1842
- Mary Ann Roebuck, aged 3, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Bombay" in 1842
- Edward Jack Roebuck (b. 1931), American Major League Baseball relief pitcher
- Daniel Randall Roebuck (b. 1963), American television and movie actor, writer and producer
- Alvah Curtis Roebuck (1864-1948), American businessman who co-founded the Sears-Roebuck company in 1893
- Arthur Wentworth Roebuck QC (1878-1971), Canadian politician and labour lawyer
- Marty Roebuck (b. 1965), Australian former rugby union footballer
- John Arthur Roebuck (1802-1879), British politician
- John Roebuck (1718-1794), English physician, chemist, and inventor
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
The Roebuck Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Roebuck Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 January 2015 at 12:49.
on orders of $85 or more