100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English
The surname Ring was first found in Leitrim
(Irish: Liatroim) anciently the western half of the kingdom of Breifne, located in Northeastern Ireland
, in Leinster
province, where they held a family seat
as a descendant of Billrian, a chief of the Heber
line of Kings, descended from Daire Cearb, brother of Lughaidh, a King of Munster
. Irish history, after the Norman Conquest
, was strongly influenced by the invasion of Strongbow
in 1172, almost equal to the enormous Irish cultural impact on England Scotland
and the whole of Europe before the Norman Conquest
from the 1st to 7th centuries. Many Irish clanns, sept names were intermixed and family groupings became almost indistinguishable.
Spelling variations of this family name include: McRinn, Rinn, Ring, McCrann, McCran, Cran, Crann, Rynne and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ring research. Another 212 words (15 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ring History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Ring Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Ring Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Andrew Ring, who settled in Plymouth, Massachusetts in 1629
- William Ring, who arrived in Salem, Massachusetts in 1632
- Robert Ring, who landed in New England in 1640
- Robert Ring, who arrived in Boston in 1640
- John Ring, who landed in Massachusetts in 1654
Ring Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Joseph Ring, a merchant of York County, Virginia whose tomb shows him to have died in 1702
- Mary Ring, who landed in Virginia in 1703
- Agnesia Ring, who arrived in Georgia sometime between 1733 and 1783
- Tobias Ring, aged 22, landed in Pennsylvania in 1741
- Henry Christophel Ring, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1753
Ring Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joseph Ring, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1804
- James Ring, on record in New York in 1818
- Patrick Ring, who landed in Mobile County, Ala in 1840
- Dennis Ring, who landed in Tippecanoe County, Ind in 1843
- Cornelius Ring, aged 36, arrived in Missouri in 1848
Ring Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- George Ring, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1762
Ring Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Lawrence Ring, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1828
- William Ring, aged 22, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1833 aboard the ship "William" from Kinsale
- Patrick Ring, aged 22, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1834 aboard the schooner "Jane" from Galway
- Thomas Ring, who arrived in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1843
Ring Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- John Ring, English convict from London, who was transported aboard the "Anna Maria" on March 6, 1848, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- John Ring, aged 62, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Emigrant"
- Bridget Ring, aged 19, a domestic servant, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Europa"
- Ellen Ring, aged 20, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Agincourt"
- Mary Ring, aged 24, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1856 aboard the ship "Australia"
- Brad Ring (b. 1987), American soccer player
- Roger Royce Ring (b. 1980), American Major League Baseball relief pitcher
- Harry Ring, American politician, Socialist Workers Candidate for New York State Comptroller, 1950
- George E. Ring, American politician, Mayor of Beardstown, Illinois, 1953
- Fred P. Ring, American Democrat politician, Member of Maine State House of Representatives from Cumberland County, 1919-20
- Eugene F. Ring, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Massachusetts, 1996
- Elizabeth Ring, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Nebraska, 2000, 2004
- Elizabeth Ring, American Democrat politician, Candidate for New York State Assembly from Queens County 3rd District, 1944
- Eleanor R. Ring, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from California, 1960 (alternate), 1964 (alternate), 1972; Presidential Elector for California, 1968
- Ben Ring, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from North Dakota, 1980
- Ancestors, Descendants and Other Relatives of Joseph Henry Ring and Sarah Ann Combs by Elma A. Ring.
- Nathaniel Ring by Donald Levi McClure.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1978. Print.
- Vicars, Sir Arthur. Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Hickey, D.J. and J.E. Doherty. A New Dictionary of Irish History form 1800 2nd Edition. Dublin: Gil & MacMillian, 2003. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Kennedy, Patrick. Kennedy's Book of Arms. Canterbury: Achievements, 1967. Print.
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
- Woodham-Smith, Cecil. The Great Hunger Ireland 1845-1849. New York: Old Town Books, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-385-3).
- MacLysaght, Edward. The Surnames of Ireland 3rd Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1978. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2278-0).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
The Ring Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Ring Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 January 2016 at 11:22.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!