The Purdom surname in England
is of Norman origins, thought to have originally been a nickname
from the Old French "prud’homme" meaning "wise man."
Early Origins of the Purdom family
The surname Purdom was first found in Wiltshire
, and Surrey
. where Gilbert Prodhome or Prudume was on record in the Pipe Rolls
in the 12th century. The name Roger Prodomme or Prodhomme was recorded in the Feet of Fines of Essex
in 1284, and in 1326. The place named Pridhamsleigh, in Devon
is named for John Prodhomme, who lived there in 1281. Like many Norman names, Purdom made its way to Scotland
, where the first record of the name was of Willelmus Prodomme of Scotia, a mercator who had safe conduct to England
Early History of the Purdom family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Purdom research.Another 74 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1454, 1476, 1597, 1609, 1675, 1737, 1708, 1709, 1687 and 1737 are included under the topic Early Purdom History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Purdom Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Prudholm, Prudham, Prodhamn, Proudhome, Prudholme, Prudhome, Prodomme, Purdomme, Purdon, Purdholm and many more.
Early Notables of the Purdom family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Purdom Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Purdom family to Ireland
Some of the Purdom family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 105 words (8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Purdom family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Purdom Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Elizabeth W. Purdom, aged 38, who landed in America from Croydon, England, in 1922
- Ernest Stanley Purdom, aged 36, who immigrated to the United States from London, England, in 1923
Purdom Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Alexander Purdom who settled in Middlesex county, Ontario in 1849
Purdom Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Thomas Purdom, aged 57, who immigrated to London, Canada, in 1910
Contemporary Notables of the name Purdom (post 1700)
- Nelson Purdom, American Republican politician, Mayor of Kokomo, Indiana, 1865-66
- Lester Purdom, American Republican politician, Candidate in primary for Missouri State House of Representatives from Barry County, 1964
- Lee S. Purdom, American politician, Member of Georgia State Senate, 1950
- Thomas Edward Purdom (b. 1936), American Hugo Award for Best Novelette nominated writer (2000)
- Captain Thomas Laurence Purdom (b. 1892), British World War I flying ace credited with 13 confirmed aerial victories
- Charles Benjamin "C.B." Purdom (1883-1965), British author, drama critic, economist and editor
- Edmund Anthony Cutlar Purdom (1926-2009), British actor
- William Purdom (1880-1921), British plant explorer sent to the northern provinces of China in 1909
Purdom Family Crest Products