Prudden History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The Prudden surname in England is of Norman origins, thought to have originally been a nickname from the Old French "prud’homme" meaning "wise man."
Early Origins of the Prudden family
The surname Prudden was first found in Wiltshire, and Surrey. where Gilbert Prodhome or Prudume was on record in the Pipe Rolls in the 12th century. The name Roger Prodomme or Prodhomme was recorded in the Feet of Fines of Essex in 1284, and in 1326. The place named Pridhamsleigh, in Devon is named for John Prodhomme, who lived there in 1281. Like many Norman names, Prudden made its way to Scotland, where the first record of the name was of Willelmus Prodomme of Scotia, a mercator who had safe conduct to England in 1373.
Early History of the Prudden family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Prudden research. Another 74 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1454, 1476, 1597, 1609, 1675, 1737, 1708, 1709, 1687 and 1737 are included under the topic Early Prudden History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Prudden Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Prudholm, Prudham, Prodhamn, Proudhome, Prudholme, Prudhome, Prodomme, Purdomme, Purdon, Purdholm and many more.
Early Notables of the Prudden family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Prudden Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Prudden family to Ireland
Some of the Prudden family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 105 words (8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Prudden migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Prudden Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Peter Prudden, who arrived in New England in 1637 
- John Prudden, who landed in New England in 1668 
Contemporary Notables of the name Prudden (post 1700) +
- Theophil Mitchell Prudden (1849-1924), American pathologist
- Bonnie Prudden (1914-2011), American physical fitness pioneer, expert rock climber and mountaineer
- George Henry Prudden Jr. (1893-1964), American aircraft engineer who was a pioneer in designing the first all metal aircraft in America, President of the Early Birds of Aviation in 1961
- Ephraim P. Prudden, American politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Enfield, 1825-26, 1828-29, 1831-34 
- Edward Hulburd Prudden, Canadian politician, Member of the Legislative Assembly of Alberta (1917-1921)
- Josh Prudden (b. 1994), Australian rules footballer who plays for the Western Bulldogs
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 9) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html